Software Faders Lag

BristolBritt

Software Faders Lag

Post by BristolBritt »

Hi everyone, been having issues with the DMXIS software.

The whole software tends to lagg on presets with fast OSC's. Are my moves too fast? I had an older laptop, and never had this issue.

Video of the issue below:

Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Software Faders Lag

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Rather hard to tell from that short video. Tell us more about your setup.
  • Mac or PC?
  • DMXIS standalone or plug-in?
  • How is DMXIS being controlled? Via MIDI or OSC? Or via host automation?
You should first check in Task Manager (Win) or Activity Monitor (MAc) to see if your machine is struggling for CPU or memory at the point where the faders are lagging.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
BristolBritt

Post by BristolBritt »

Hi Dave,

- MAC
- This error happens both in standalone mode and Plug-in (Using Ableton)
- Controlled via midi

If I have multiple faders oscillating 1/4 notes, sometimes the faders will suddenly stop oscillating and stay stuck.

My CPU and memory are both under 30% utilized when this occurs.

Additionally, after more troubleshooting, it only occurs when lights are plugged into the DMXIS box. I have the line terminated and it does this regardless of which/how many lights are plugged in.
TheUntalentedOne

Post by TheUntalentedOne »

Bad DMX cable maybe?
RichG

Post by RichG »

I believe it's been mentioned here before that oscillator timing depends on the Audio input settings (can't seem to find it to quote it though).

Try changing settings under File|Preferences|Audio/MIDI Settings. Make sure the Input is set to something and it's registering on the meter. I know if you set that to << none >> all the oscillators will stop.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

That's a good point, you could try lowering the buffer size in the audio settings. However, it's odd that the problem only occurs when lights are connected to the box. That to me sounds more like a DMX hardware or USB issue.

Could you try connecting the box to your Mac via a powered USB hub? It might be a USB power starvation issue.

Do you have a different laptop (Mac or PC) that you could try? That would confirm if the problem is to do with the box or the computer.

If that doesn't help, let me know - also confirm what versions of macOS and DMXIS you are running.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon