Moving Head Waterfall

RichG

Moving Head Waterfall

Post by RichG »

I was at a concert recently and I saw moving heads being used in a "waterfall" type pattern. I'm not sure what to call it, so I just gave it a name. The pattern is such that as the heads transition from pointing upward to downward the light is on, Then the light is off as the head is repositioned to pointing upward again. The visual effect is one of lights constantly cascading downward.

I have several moving heads and I'd like to make this happen in DMXIS, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone have a script for this?... or have advice on how to implement it across several moving heads?
jaypjohnson

Re: Moving Head Waterfall

Post by jaypjohnson »

RichG wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:30 pm I was at a concert recently and I saw moving heads being used in a "waterfall" type pattern. I'm not sure what to call it, so I just gave it a name. The pattern is such that as the heads transition from pointing upward to downward the light is on, Then the light is off as the head is repositioned to pointing upward again. The visual effect is one of lights constantly cascading downward.

I have several moving heads and I'd like to make this happen in DMXIS, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone have a script for this?... or have advice on how to implement it across several moving heads?
I'm working on this now, but I'm using cc messages sent from Sonar. Send cc control assigned to y position to move from top to bottom, and on another cc track send dimmer to turn on and off in between move. It's kind of hard because the dimmer on/off needs to be matched to the speed of whatever head you are using, and the tempo in your DAW affects the timing.

You could also program using the channel mask. One preset does your move down, then a second one does the dimmer on/off while masking out the move channels, then a third does the move back up without the dimmer. You would still have to trigger from a controller of some type.

Jay
RichG

Re: Moving Head Waterfall

Post by RichG »

Ended up writing a macro to do it. It can be found HERE.