DMXIS Automation addon idea/prototype

Callan05

DMXIS Automation addon idea/prototype

Post by Callan05 »

So I've had a little bit of time on my hands this week and started to write a little application to complement DMXIS and run somewhat automated while we play.

Here's the idea:

A frontend app (HTML/JS) running in a browser on a tablet on stage - listening to the audio coming into the mic
AND / OR
A frontend app running in a browser on a Raspberry PI plugged into our mixer, taking a feed of just the kick&snare drums and the click track (if we have one for that song)

A backend app (node.js) running on a Raspberry PI, receiving API calls from the frontend and sending MIDI commands to DMXIS.

Some of the ideas I've had so far are:
Detect the BPM of the live song and send it to DMXIS, maybe also other devices that would benefit
Detect the intensity of the song - which might increase the rate of autorun for some banks, or choose a new bank.
Detect when the song has finished and set a generic 'between songs' preset
Single button on the tablet for set breaks to set the 'set break' preset
Add some randomness to choosing banks and/or presets. One song might have a cool theme, then next a warm theme, etc.
Detect who is singing and light them up the most (I would need more front lighting for this.. but could look good on stage)

I already have my X32R mixer, DMXIS, USB hub, Wireless router all wired up in a hardcase, so adding the Raspberry PI isn't that hard from here.
The 2 apps I already have working as (ugly) prototypes - so it's just about doing some testing from here and then cleaning up the code.

Has anybody else ever looked at something like this?
Any other ideas I could consider?

Cheers,
Callan05

Re: DMXIS Automation addon idea/prototype

Post by Callan05 »

So.... I couldn't find DMXIS for Raspberry PI, even though last week I'm sure I saw a download link.

In any case, my original plan still works, but the Raspberry PI will be replaced by my MacBook until I buy a Intel NUC or other small Windows PC.