Can't switch banks/presets using MIDI in Ableton

benjarrell

Can't switch banks/presets using MIDI in Ableton

Post by benjarrell »

I've had DMXis for several months, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

I can load the VST plug in, and I can create banks and presets in DMXis and I can use the mouse to change parameters, switch banks/presets, and otherwise to control my lights. However, I can't get the DMXis plugin to respond to MIDI note messages at all. Which means I can't use DMXis to actually sequence my lights. I have spent hours and hours trying to get this to work. I have set up DMXis in Ableton as demonstrated in the following two videos:

https://youtu.be/4XaQpaGxeZE
https://youtu.be/XAR8TBkQQZ8

I've been using Ableton for almost 15 years, so I am pretty familiar with how to route MIDI. MIDI routing isn't that complicated and as these videos demonstrate, it should be pretty straightforward to do in Ableton.

I am honestly starting to wonder if there is a problem with my DMXis interface. But then again, the plug in doesn't seem to be responding to MIDI, and that comes before the interface in the chain.

FWIW I have looked through past questions in the forum, and obviously I have looked at the FAQ about how to control DMXis with MIDI. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might test this, or any particular setting I might try? Should I try an older version of DMXis? I am at my wits end.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Can't switch banks/presets using MIDI in Ableton

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Email me (dave@db-audioware.com) a sample Live project that recreates the problem, I'll take a look for you. Also, please confirm what versions of Live, DMXIS and Windows / macOS you use.

It's nothing to do with your DMXIS hardware box. You can trigger DMXIS banks & presets within Live with no hardware connected.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
solo-act

Post by solo-act »

Make sure your note-on command has a value other than zero after it, or no command will be sent. That's what I learned in my system.

You can also use a program like midi monitor to listen to ableton and make sure the midi is actually going out.

I had a similar problem, but mine was a midi routing issue. I had to create a virtual cable to get midi out of digital performer to the standalone DMXIS application. I did that using the IAC driver in the Mac audio midi setup application and set it up in the preferences of DMXIS standalone application.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I haven't heard back yet, but I suggested in this case the wrong MIDI notes were being transmitted, and/or Ableton was suspending the plug-in processing because no audio was being received at the input.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon