DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Ports?

Anything & everything relating to ENTTEC DMXIS.
Post Reply
TylerM
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:55 pm

DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Ports?

Post by TylerM » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Has anyone tried running the DMXis box through a USB to thunderboldt 3 adaptor?

Purchased a new MacBook for music production as well as running a live DMXis light show but it does not include the standard USB 3 port. I'm sure the adaptor will work just fine but i want to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

cgrafx
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Po

Post by cgrafx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 am

TylerM wrote:Has anyone tried running the DMXis box through a USB to thunderboldt 3 adaptor?

Purchased a new MacBook for music production as well as running a live DMXis light show but it does not include the standard USB 3 port. I'm sure the adaptor will work just fine but i want to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

New MacBooks have USB-C ports not thunderbolt.

A USB C to USB B adaptor should work without issue.

Dave Sunley
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Re: DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Ports?

Post by Dave Sunley » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 am

I bought a usb B to usb C cable to use with the DMXIS interface, but it works just as well with one of the USB A to C adapters and then a standard A to B cable.

theremoteguy
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Po

Post by theremoteguy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

cgrafx wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 am
TylerM wrote:Has anyone tried running the DMXis box through a USB to thunderboldt 3 adaptor?

Purchased a new MacBook for music production as well as running a live DMXis light show but it does not include the standard USB 3 port. I'm sure the adaptor will work just fine but i want to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

New MacBooks have USB-C ports not thunderbolt.

A USB C to USB B adaptor should work without issue.
This is not true. New MacBooks have Thunderbolt 3 ports which carry much more bandwidth than USB C, it also incorporates the USB C format and uses the same style connectors. But they are not the same...

User avatar
FrakeTrain
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Po

Post by FrakeTrain » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm

theremoteguy wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm
cgrafx wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 am
TylerM wrote:Has anyone tried running the DMXis box through a USB to thunderboldt 3 adaptor?

Purchased a new MacBook for music production as well as running a live DMXis light show but it does not include the standard USB 3 port. I'm sure the adaptor will work just fine but i want to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

New MacBooks have USB-C ports not thunderbolt.

A USB C to USB B adaptor should work without issue.
This is not true. New MacBooks have Thunderbolt 3 ports which carry much more bandwidth than USB C, it also incorporates the USB C format and uses the same style connectors. But they are not the same...
This has been driving me nuts since Apple falsely labeled their newer MBP ports as TB3. They are NOT. You first must understand physical port configuration and then the protocols that the ports can utilize. The ports (shape and pin layout) on the newer MBPs are USB-C ports. They accept a USB-C connector on the end of a cable. USB-A and USB-B are also physical port configurations NOT protocols. NOW, the protocols that the newer MBP's can handle is a different story. In short they can handle ThunderBolt 3 PROTOCOL and various different versions of USB protocols, the latest being USB 3.2. It depends on which MBP you have to see how high up the USB protocol your MBP can handle. The USB-C ports can also handle higher power deliveries. So, in answer to the OP, the DMXIS box that has a USB-B port should work with a USB-B/USB-C cable, or a USB-B/USB-A cable to USB-A/USB-C adapter. Thanks Apple for making things way more confusing than they should be...

theremoteguy
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: DMXis box capabilities with new MacBook Pro's w/o USB Ports?

Post by theremoteguy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:18 am

Nothing was "falsely" labeled. They have 40GBPS throughput. They are most definitely Thunderbolt 3. If it was USB C it would have 10GBPS. Unless you know something Apple and Intel are not aware of. Thunderbolt 3 incorporates all of the USB formats. But the USB formats do not incorporate Thunderbolt. A USB C cable is not the same as a Thunderbolt cable, although they do share the same connector. They are two different animals. It would be the equivalent of saying USB 3 is the same as USB 2 and USB 1 because the connectors are the same. The confusing thing is why Intel renamed USBC, USB 3.1...

Post Reply