DMXis Visualizer

rad3d

DMXis Visualizer

Post by rad3d »

Are there any packages that can visualize directly from DMXis output? Would something like Sunlight's Easy View 3D work, or are there any other similar DMX visualizers that would be better? If so, can something like this be connected virtually, or would a secondary interface be required (to read actual DMX out from DMXis interface to another DMX/Usb in)?

Looking to purchase DMXis for an upcoming show, and looking for an easy way to get a bunch of basic Presets together from my home, then tweaking on the lighting rig when I have full access.

To be honest, all I really need is something that could represent all my base light fixtures, colors and dimming. Doesn't need to be 3D or show beams. Just looking for something to get me in the ballpark.

Thanks in advance!
samuraitheta

Re: DMXis Visualizer

Post by samuraitheta »

I am also curious about this. It would be nice to program shows on the go.
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

I found this quote from Dave on another board from about 3 years ago:
There's no visualizer with DMXIS because we want to keep the price low

However, you can use ANY visualizer with DMXIS. For example, Sunlite's "Magic 3D" would work just fine. Simply plug the output of the DMXIS box into the input of the Sunlite box, and off you go.

Doing it this way has some real benefits. First, you are visualizing the real data leaving the DMXIS hardware, which is a much better test of your show than an "internal" visualizer displaying what it thinks should be leaving the hardware.

Second, it lets you run the visualizer on a separate computer, so you don't increase the CPU load of your main show machine.

Dave.
With that in mind, is something like Magic 3D compatible with the ENTTEC Open DMX USB interface? If I'm only using this setup for basic visualization, I'd want a second interface that wasn't going to be too expensive.
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

ENTTEC Open DMX USB doesn't have a DMX In. Is there an adapter that can be used to allow this interface to read DMX in?
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

1) ENTTEC does not support the OPEN DMX USB for input. Somewhere, somehow, somebody might say they've gotten it to work and perhaps they have but we aren't convinced it can be done reliably and therefore place no confidence in that behaviour. (This has to do with frame buffering, which isn't present in an interface that inexpensive, but is available in the PRO versions.
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... ame=promk2
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... =dmxusbpro

2) You should look into how Magic Easy 3D is licensed, because I have a hunch they require one of their own interfaces to accomplish the unlocking of it. A list of visualizers that DO support ENTTEC boxes can be found here:
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... show=links

Jeremy
stentor

Post by stentor »

What about the ShowBuddy stuff? They have the 2d, right?

I'm confused how they integrate, can someone fill me in?
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

Gotta love 7 year old threads.

I don’t know much about ShowBuddy, though I did eventually move to D-Pro that has basic 2d visualization. Ended up getting into a few other DMX apps over the last few years and started using Capture. A little expensive, but works with every system I have.