MIDI channels for Banks/Presets

rad3d

MIDI channels for Banks/Presets

Post by rad3d »

I'm currently evaluating DMXis in Demo Mode.

Is the only option for MIDI control of Banks/Presets on Channels 15 and 16? I need to use DMXis in a multiple MIDI device rig (lots of shared/merged inputs going to multiple outs) and have some hardware devices hard coded to 15 and 16 that will potentially conflict. We currently use multiple MIDI controllers (footswitches, drum pads, etc) to trigger samples, guitar patches, and keyboards - and was hoping to trigger additional DMXis Presets from these devices - along with the normal footswitch controls.

Is there any way that DMXis Bank/Preset channels can be selectable?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: MIDI channels for Banks/Presets

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

DMXIS will also respond to standard MIDI bank and program change messages.

You can also use MIDI Learn to remote control the bank & preset up/down arrow buttons (on the Preset Manager page), but this only lets you step through banks & presets one at a time - it doesn't give you random access like the Ch15/16 or Bank/Program Change methods.

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

Thanks - I just found that, and the ability to step might be fine.

Still, I'm concerned that other MIDI data sent on 15/16 might conflict with DMXis. Is there no way to change these default Bank/Preset MIDI channels?

Would it be possible in a future update?
Dave Brown [admin]

There's no way to customise this in DMXIS - it is always listening on Ch15/16 of the selected MIDI Input device for bank/preset changes.

In this case, I would use a MIDI utility (like Bome's MIDI Translator on Windows or MIDI Pipe on OS X) to pre-process the data before it reaches DMXIS - either to filter out the unwanted Ch15/16 data completely, or to manipulate bank/preset changes from two other channels into Ch15/16.

Dave.
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

Thanks. One more quick question:

What is the exact MIDI spec for access to Banks/Presets on 15/16? Banks on 15, Presets on 16 - all Note-ons?

Is there a printed spec for this? I haven't had a chance to hook everything up to test yet.
Dave Brown [admin]

rad3d wrote:What is the exact MIDI spec for access to Banks/Presets on 15/16? Banks on 15, Presets on 16 - all Note-ons?
That's correct.

The channel 15/16 feature is the only "hard coded" MIDI behaviour in DMXIS. Everything else is mapped using MIDI Learn. By right-clicking on any DMXIS control or fader, you can associate it quickly with any incoming MIDI Note, CC or NRPN message.

Dave.
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

Thanks again, Dave.

Appreciate all the responses! Very helpful.
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

Not sure how you're running this rad, but another option is using a Virtual MIDI Port and pointing your lighting track in the sequencer solely to the virtual port and everything else out through your normal interface / port

As I say, that tends to be quite set up specific, but just throwing the thought into the hat Image

EDIT: Ah, ignore that as I see from another post that you're not using any sequences, just footswitch type controller :)
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

No - not running sequences, but still needed to go the virtual MIDI port route anyways. It appeared that DMXis was listening to Bank/Preset changes on all (?) MIDI channels 'on top' of the note-on data on 15/16. Since we have a lot of other gear in the mix receiving bank/patch changes, the bank/preset changes for other gear would conflict with the note-on data we were trying to send to DMXis. It wasn't until I set up a virtual MID port and used another app to filter out everything but channel 15 that I was able to get DMXis to respond as I needed (using note on for bank, program change for Preset).

Does anyone else know for sure what MIDI channels DMXis is listening for Bank/Preset changes on?

Regardless, with the filtering in place, all is working like a champ and DMXis is syncronizing perfectly with the iOS app I use to manage our setlists.
NCN

Post by NCN »

I happen to know that DMXIS also listens for CC32 (and possibly CC0) on any channel. The "value" will be the index to the bank number. Thus, cc32-1 will select bank 1. Beyond that, if your device can send out a "program change" then you can select the preset.

I found this out messing with a nanoKontrol2 so that a "slider" can be programmed to select a bank (kind of cool to see) ... but the nK2 can't send out a PC so it all ends there.