Can't get reason external midi device to recognize the DMXIS

vetrana

Can't get reason external midi device to recognize the DMXIS

Post by vetrana »

Hey everyone.
So I'm drawing a blank here. I have a DMXIS that I'm able to use with the DMXIS software. I can definitely control my lights with it, and it all connects fine. What I'm trying to do is send midi data out of reason to the DMXIS. I've made an external midi device in my reason rack, but it says there are no midi ports available. Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to get reason to see my DMXIS?

Thanks in advance. I'm at a loss here.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Can't get reason external midi device to recognize the D

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You need to setup a loopback driver to transmit MIDI between programs (e.g. LoopBe on Windows or the standard IAC driver in OS X). Then, you can set Reason to transmit to that driver and DMXIS to receive from it.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
vetrana

Post by vetrana »

Thank you Dave.

So I installed LoopBe1 and the reason external midi device is able to see it, but I'm still not getting a response in my lights. Do you have any advice for me on what to do from here? I'm not sure how well you know Reason but I attached a screen grab of what kind of attributes the device offers.

Do I need to have the DMXIS interface open at the same time? I tried opening both and even tried assigning a midi control to each fader by using the "learn" function, but I wasn't able to get that to work.

This guy was able to get it to work but I haven't been able to get a response from him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIzgBE ... LzGIdoUfWL

Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
midi.JPG
midi.JPG (25.48 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

You didn't say exactly how you've got stuff configured, but one thing that sometimes gets confusing is you either use the DMXIS plugin directly in reason, or you use the standalone, but not both.

If you use the standalone, you setup reason to output to LoopBe and you have to configure DMXIS to use LoopBe1 as its MIDI input.

hopefully this will point you in the right direction.
vetrana

Post by vetrana »

Thanks for the reply.
So here's the external midi instrument in reason, with the loopBe internal midi port active, and also the dmxis software with the loopBe used as the midi in.

Maybe where I'm getting confused is the CC assign and midi channels? Am I supposed to only use midi channels 15 and 16? I figured that right clicking on a fader in the DMXIS sofwater, and clicking on "learn" and then rotating the CC wheel in reason would be sending midi data and the dmxis software would identify it, but nothing.
Attachments
dmxisMidiIn.JPG
dmxisMidiIn.JPG (67.07 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
reasonMidiOut.JPG
reasonMidiOut.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

from a different thread on the forum, it looks like you need to make sure you transmit notes with velocity set to 127

http://forums.dmxis.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1832
vetrana

Post by vetrana »

Seems like I'm in a minority using reason instead of Abelton.
Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Here's a quick 1 minute rundown video of the step where I'm getting stuck.

https://youtu.be/c2qvG5tScy0

Maybe I can try installing all this on a different computer and see if I can have any luck...
vetrana

Post by vetrana »

Scratch that, I think I got it!
For some reason I had to have the audio output set to something in dmxis. once i did that, it started recieving midi data. Weird.
Attachments
audioOut.JPG
audioOut.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
vetrana

Post by vetrana »

For those who have experience with LoopBe, do you have any advice for the feedback loop constantly turning it off? It mutes itself, I guess if there's too much data running through it, but I only have it exporting midi data out of reason, there's no data coming back into reason through loopBe. Is DMXIS sending data back out to Loopbe or only accepting it in? Looking for a solution to having it constantly turn itself off after almost no time at all while I'm playing through my sequence in Reason.