MIDI question::::::::

etnate

MIDI question::::::::

Post by etnate »

Hello I want to control DMXIS with MIDI out from my Korg Kronos and it's sequencer. The issue is I more often than not use all 16 midi tracks and I'm not sure I can do what I want without sending a bunch of random commands to DMXIS. Resources aren't an issue if I need to add more gear to my rig like an ipad or something. Thanks so much.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: MIDI question::::::::

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Do you want to automate your DMXIS lighting with MIDI commands, or do you want hands-on control of your light show from a MIDI controller?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
etnate

Post by etnate »

Nothing too complex. I just want to be able to select banks and presets I've already programmed. This is done on channel 15-16 which is where I put all percussion. The goal is hands/feet free operation so these commands would be dictated by the sequencer.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You could use a MIDI utility like Bome's MIDI Translator on Windows or MIDI Pipe on Mac to modify the MIDI data from your keyboard.

For example, set your sequencer to transmit DMXIS bank/preset changes on channels 10/11, then use the utility to remap those messages to channels 5/16 before sending onto DMXIS.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
etnate

Post by etnate »

Hey thanks that's interesting software. I'm not sure that solves the problem though as I usually use all 16 tracks for music. It could be useful for when I don't. I have some other last resort options, like recording the drums on an audio track on the keyboards' hard drive and freeing up those channels for lights. I'd rather not do that but it would be an acceptable compromise. I could control DMXIS with a pedal but it would be another thing to perform in an already elaborate production. I appreciate your help.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

etnate wrote:Hey thanks that's interesting software. I'm not sure that solves the problem though as I usually use all 16 tracks for music. It could be useful for when I don't. I have some other last resort options, like recording the drums on an audio track on the keyboards' hard drive and freeing up those channels for lights. I'd rather not do that but it would be an acceptable compromise. I could control DMXIS with a pedal but it would be another thing to perform in an already elaborate production. I appreciate your help.
If your already using all the midi channels for other things, how do you envision this working? What event, would trigger the lighting cues?
etnate

Post by etnate »

cgrafx wrote:
etnate wrote:Hey thanks that's interesting software. I'm not sure that solves the problem though as I usually use all 16 tracks for music. It could be useful for when I don't. I have some other last resort options, like recording the drums on an audio track on the keyboards' hard drive and freeing up those channels for lights. I'd rather not do that but it would be an acceptable compromise. I could control DMXIS with a pedal but it would be another thing to perform in an already elaborate production. I appreciate your help.
If your already using all the midi channels for other things, how do you envision this working? What event, would trigger the lighting cues?
That's what I intend to find out. I guess the question I wanted answered was whether MIDI was robust enough to accomplish what I want to do; whether a midi channel could both somehow have music data and discretely command the DMXIS changes. The conclusion I'm coming to is: not really.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

That's what I intend to find out. I guess the question I wanted answered was whether MIDI was robust enough to accomplish what I want to do; whether a midi channel could both somehow have music data and discretely command the DMXIS changes. The conclusion I'm coming to is: not really.
You can do a lot of tricky stuff with something like midi translator (or a hardware midi processor), but you'll still have to have some control method that isn't already in use. If there are commands you can issue on one or even multiples of your midi channels that aren't going to trigger other midi actions/events, then they could be used to control DMXIS actions.

But your going to have to sort through what those are. Otherwise, you will need to clear one midi channel for lighting control.

You could try going the other way, and use any number of show control / performance software packages to manage all of your gear.

MainStage, Abelton, even something like Show Buddy could be used.
etnate

Post by etnate »

cgrafx wrote:
You can do a lot of tricky stuff with something like midi translator (or a hardware midi processor), but you'll still have to have some control method that isn't already in use. If there are commands you can issue on one or even multiples of your midi channels that aren't going to trigger other midi actions/events, then they could be used to control DMXIS actions.

But your going to have to sort through what those are. Otherwise, you will need to clear one midi channel for lighting control.

You could try going the other way, and use any number of show control / performance software packages to manage all of your gear.

MainStage, Abelton, even something like Show Buddy could be used.
Thanks. Would it be possible to control DMXIS with MIDI CC data? In the sequencer I can insert MIDI CC commands.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

I think so. As long as they are unique (so they can be filtered out of the midi data) it should be possible to translate into anything.
NCN

Post by NCN »

Try this (which I posted some time ago):

Bank changes can be sent on any MIDI channel via CC (control change) number 32. The parameter to the CC will be the bank number. Value 0 is bank 1, 1 is bank 2, etc.

To change presets within a bank you use the Program Change (PC) message on any channel. PC 0 will be the first preset, etc."

Normally DMXIS is controlled using CC 15: the banks are selected randomly via note "0" for the first bank listed, "1" for the second, etc, and the same for presets within a bank using CC 16. The alternative method I present is in the event you are using high speed changes (which DMXIS hates) ... possibly via some external program or maybe because of multiple Midi-OX data mappings. Or in your case, you've already used up all the Midi channels.

However, be aware that DMXIS is STILL looking for those Midi notes on 15/16 and will happily respond if they appear. So you've still got management issues to worry about ... perhaps less so since you are doing percussion.
etnate

Post by etnate »

NCN wrote:Try this (which I posted some time ago):

Bank changes can be sent on any MIDI channel via CC (control change) number 32. The parameter to the CC will be the bank number. Value 0 is bank 1, 1 is bank 2, etc.

To change presets within a bank you use the Program Change (PC) message on any channel. PC 0 will be the first preset, etc."

Normally DMXIS is controlled using CC 15: the banks are selected randomly via note "0" for the first bank listed, "1" for the second, etc, and the same for presets within a bank using CC 16. The alternative method I present is in the event you are using high speed changes (which DMXIS hates) ... possibly via some external program or maybe because of multiple Midi-OX data mappings. Or in your case, you've already used up all the Midi channels.

However, be aware that DMXIS is STILL looking for those Midi notes on 15/16 and will happily respond if they appear. So you've still got management issues to worry about ... perhaps less so since you are doing percussion.
That's awesome! Thanks so much. That's exactly the info I was looking for. As for ch. 15/16 I can just disable midi output for those channels no problem. Your solution may present some problems with the synth stuff but I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!