DMXIS with Behringer FCB1010

mbergen

DMXIS with Behringer FCB1010

Post by mbergen »

What MIDI channel data, etc, is DMXIS looking for MIDI learn for Speed, Level, Banks, Presets?

I'll end up posting the same question for D-PRO since I own both.

I have a Behringer FCB1010 and would like to map the expression pedals to Speed and Level, and change banks/presets using the numbered foot switches.

Thanks,
Mitchell
bondsong

Re: DMXIS with Behringer FCB1010

Post by bondsong »

The way midi learn works is you right click and select "learn" on the knob or slider you want to control in DMXis and then push or wiggle the midi controller you want to use to control that parameter on your FCB1010 . After that DMXis will respond to that controller message.

You have to make sure the midi device you're using is selected in the preferences in DMXis. I'm assuming you have your FCB10110 hooked up to your computer with some sort of midi interface. It should show up as a device under preferences/midi hardware. If it doesn't you need to solve that first.

Cheers,
Frank
mbergen

Post by mbergen »

Hi Frank.

The pedal (and interface) is seen by DMXIS. The first and second pedals already have some control of the preset up and down so there is some signal getting through to DMXIS. When I try MIDI Learn, DMXIS is not 'learning'. No reaction to button or pedal movement. I keep wondering if DMXIS is looking for midi on different channels. example: channel 15 for MIDI note, channel xx for MIDI change control, channel xx for MIDI expression pedal, etc.

Thanks,
Mitchell
bondsong

Post by bondsong »

That's good it's seeing the FCB1010. I used to have an FCB1010 but sold it. It's a good unit.

I use a NanoKontrol to control DMXis. All my controls are set for Channel 16. I control lots of stuff like presets, speed, level strobe etc. I believe Channel 15 is for bank.

I'm using Show Buddy now so I don't need to worry about it as much.

Cheers,
Frank
Last edited by bondsong on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

mbergen wrote:The first and second pedals already have some control of the preset up and down so there is some signal getting through to DMXIS. When I try MIDI Learn, DMXIS is not 'learning'. No reaction to button or pedal movement. I keep wondering if DMXIS is looking for midi on different channels. example: channel 15 for MIDI note, channel xx for MIDI change control, channel xx for MIDI expression pedal, etc.
Any MIDI channel will work with DMXIS - but I recommend you avoid using channels 15 & 16 for MIDI Learn, as they are hard-coded in the software to do bank/preset switching.

If you're using MIDI notes to control DMXIS buttons (e.g. the next/previous buttons on the Preset Manager) you need to transmit notes with maximum volume (velocity=127).

If you're having problems, best thing is to hook up a MIDI Monitor utility and watch what data is coming out of the FCB1010. If it's not quite right and you can't edit the MIDI data within the Behringer itself, then you can stick a MIDI Translator utility (like Bomes on Windows or MIDI Pipe on OSX) in front of DMXIS, to massage the MIDI data into the correct format (e.g. increasing the velocity to 127 if needed).

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
agent9

Post by agent9 »

I had to purchase an Uno chip for my FCB1010 to be able to send the correct midi note velocity of 127. I also use Ripwerx FCB1010 editor.
After that, it works perfectly. Sorry for the lack of details but I haven't had to use my setup in a year and forgot a lot. :oops:
robare99

Post by robare99 »

I reset my FCB to stock, and to my surprise, it works the way I want it.

I choose a bank, and then the pedals 1-10 choose the first 10 on the list. Bank 01 is the next 10 etc. use learn for the volume pedals.

If you want to use MIDI notes, set it to channel 16. Then assign different notes to different pedals.

C-2 (maybe C#-2) is the first in the list.
C#-2 (c sharp minus 2) is the second on the list.

Etc.
screws

Post by screws »

bondsong wrote:That's good it's seeing the FCB1010. I used to have an FCB1010 but sold it. It's a good unit.

I use a NanoKontrol to control DMXis. All my controls are set for Channel 16. I control lots of stuff like presets, speed, level strobe etc. I believe Channel 15 is for bank.

I'm using Show Buddy now so I don't need to worry about it as much.

Cheers,
Frank
Hi Frank,

Are you able to start and stop Show Buddy with the "Play" button on the Nano? I've got DMXIS working fine with my Nano2 but I can't seem to get the transport controls working with Show Buddy. I'd also love to be able to advance song and rewind as well, but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks for any ideas you may have,

Steve Cruz
Florida
Mike7300

Post by Mike7300 »

Does this plug in directly to the dmxis box? If so what type of cable do I need to buy for that?
robare99

Post by robare99 »

Mike7300 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 am Does this plug in directly to the dmxis box? If so what type of cable do I need to buy for that?
Hi. It doesn’t plug into the box. I use a 25’ MIDI cable and then a Roland UM-One which is a MIDI to USB interface. It’s pretty inexpensive. That plugs into a USB port then you are good to go