Possible feature request - Blinder control?

kevinmcdonough

Possible feature request - Blinder control?

Post by kevinmcdonough »

hey

As I mentioned in my other thread, having just recently found DMXIS I'm looking into it as a possible solution for a sound engineer to also be able to control lighting in a simple way that still creates a great show, and so far it seems perfect. Have solved one issue and the only possible other one I can see is Blinder control.

There would be times where I would like to "flash" the audience, just as the band kick into a chorus etc using blinders, but without loosing place on whatever chase or preset I was running. If I had some dedicated blinder lights that would be fine, from what I can see I could learn them to a midi footswitch command and they would flash when stomped, and everything else would continue as normal.

However to save some space, as it'll only be a fairly small lighting rig and having dedicated blinders would be a bit of a pain, I'd like to use something like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdxB8w5ERuo

...which with maybe 4 strung along a small truss at the back would provide a useful addition to the general lighting show and could be set to change colour and match what was happening, so they'd need to be programmed and changing as part of the chase, but then with a press of a MIDI control light up full for a split sec before returning to the chase again.

I can understand how I would set most of it up, but I think the issue would be in keeping the chase running in the background for these lights (and any other I decided to link in) so that they return to it once I let go of the button.

This may be possible and I'm just not experienced enough to do it yet, but it seems it'd need a dedicated control added to the software I think?

So what I think would be ideal would be to have a dedicated Blind control, and for each preset or scene, you could attach a combination (or all) faders to it. When activated they would flash while the button was held down and then return to the chase/scene that was kept going in the background when let go again. It would bypass the master so that it'd go "full-full" even if you had set the master lower, It could have a short adjustable fade in and fade out time to fine tune it, and could be triggered by a midi note so you could either hit a button to go straight to 255 and full flash, or an expression peddle would give you fine control.

Don't know if this'd be useful for anyone else but would complete the software for me and make it perfect :)

k