Offline - connect your DMXIS box

mugube

Offline - connect your DMXIS box

Post by mugube »

This is baffling me and I've spent days trying to figure it out and I've finally come to ask for help...(I've emailed enttec support but they haven't got back to me)

I have a Macbook Pro Retina and the latest software for dmxis. OSX 10.11.6

Nothing is open on laptop, no other programs or anything. I open dmxis standalone, it says it can't find the box (as expected with it not plugged in) - so I plug it in and it connects - all good. If I unplug it, then plug it back in, it will not find or connect to dmxis box again no matter what I do and I have to resort to restarting my system which might get it to get recognised once it restarts.

I have tried using it through a powered usb hub and also without but it's the same problem.

When dmxis software says the box is not connected, I have tried to use the pro software but that also says nothing is connected.

I bought the box about 3/4 months ago.

Please help!

Thanks
Last edited by mugube on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mugube

Re: Offline - connect your DMXIS box

Post by mugube »

Thanks for approving. Just an update...

in system report, the USB device DMXIS shows up when I plug it in, and remains there when I disconnect it. Strangely when I go to connect it again, I now have 2 DMXIS boxes showing as connected USB Devices but still can't connect to the software.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

As it's not uncommon for Apple to break things with their infernal system updates, I ran some checks on a MacBook Air with OS X 10.11.6 and DMXIS 1.5.7. Everything works as expected here - I can disconnect & reconnect the USB cable and the DMXIS software reconnects every time.

Can I first verify that you are definitely running DMXIS 1.5.7?

You have owned DMXIS for 3+ months. I assume it was working previously? Did the appearance of this problem coincide with a particular software or OSX upgrade?

The easiest way to diagnose if this is a hardware or software issue is to try your DMXIS box on another computer, preferably a Windows machine so you can remove OS X from the equation.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
mugube

Post by mugube »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, definitely using version 1.5.7.

It's had this problem for as long as I can remember I've only used it a couple of times and hadn't really looked in to why it was happening (plugged in, program a few things and shut down) I also initially had trouble trying to find the correct version of dmxis that would work with El Capitan at the time so I had assumed a dmxis update in the future would fix it. Only now I'm really trying to figure out the issue before I take it live.

I will try on a windows machine after the weekend as you suggest but I have access to another Mac machine so I will try on that.

Thanks
mugube

Post by mugube »

Hi,

I've finally got round to trying the dmxis on a windows machine and it seems to work fine, I can unplug and plug the usb back in and it works and detects it. I am yet to try on another mac but will do so shortly and post an update.
Interestingly, I bought a MyDmxBuddy so I could still program some lighting in time (since I was having trouble with the dmxis) and I don't have the same problem on the mydmxbuddy with it as I do with dmxis. Both are being used on the same machine, same environment.

Perhaps you might know if there's any specific differences with the dmxis and mydmxbuddy as to why my mac will not recognise the dmxis being disconnected? I've tried searching Google for usb/mac related issues but I keep getting issues related to usb drives as opposed to devices.

My mac is 64 bit, would this be affecting anything?

Thanks
mugube

Post by mugube »

I've tried on another mac, a Mac mini.. and the dmxis box is recognised when it is plugged in and when it is disconnected totally fine.

So, the issue seems to be related to my machine which is a Macbook Pro Retina since it works on both another mac and a windows machine.

Any idea how I figure out what the issue is?

Thanks
OrionNine

Post by OrionNine »

I'm having the exact same problem on a MacBook Air 13" Non-Retina display 128gb hard drive. I haven't done a software update on my laptop since purchasing the DMXIS interface and software last week. I started programming some shows. Shut down and came back the next day and now the software does not see the interface. The interface has power and lights up. I decided to do some research, upgraded to the latest DMXIS software version and still no connection. I will attempt to run it on my Mac Mini at home. But for my application I need this to work in my laptop. Thank you.
OrionNine

Post by OrionNine »

I think I may have found a work-around. I THINK that the FTDI VCP Driver is conflicting with the FTDI D2XX Driver. Using Terminal enter:

cd /Library/Extensions
rm -r FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

Then reboot your computer.

For further reference:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... AC_OSX.pdf
Eggo

Post by Eggo »

Apologies for the necrobump, but I'm having the same issue on my Macbook Pro (mid 2009).

OS 10.11.6, DMXIS 1.6.3, fully updated this morning.

I'm getting sometimes phantom copies DMXIS in the USB system report, and it won't connect, even either the standalone program or Logic is the only program open. Both power LEDs light up, but the box doesn't sync with the computer. It is fixed by restarting the computer (to reset the USB devices), but that's a bit tough to deal with every time I want to run lights.

I'm not comfortable with terminal commands - is there a better way to handle this USB connectivity issue?

Thanks,
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

Hello
just a suggestion, when reading the argument of Dave Brown
there is a little helper called "FtdiDriverControl.app" downloadable from Enttecs Homepage, which allows us to toggle between the two conflicting drivers....
I don't use DMXIS but I had already issues like "non recognition" for my USB-Pro and selecting (or disabling) one given driver solved it !!
(you should at least try it !! no risk at all!! its a simple on/off reversible !..)