DMXIS / Chauvet D-Fi Project

Anything & everything relating to ENTTEC DMXIS.
cgrafx

DMXIS / Chauvet D-Fi Project

Post by cgrafx » Sat May 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Been working on streamlining the lighting setup for my band. The DMXIS is really great product, but the hardware box is lacking any physical mounting options, so I decided to create my own solution.

Part of the solution was consolidating all of our lighting to a single wireless protocol (so I switched everything over to Chauvet's D-FI wireless).

Picked up 8 Freedom Par Quads, upgraded our 4bar tri's to Tri USB's and added a couple of SlimBank T18 USB's.

Chauvet makes an inexpensive rack mountable wireless DMX box (the D-Fi Stream 6).

I took the PC board for the DMXIS and mounted it inside the Chauvet D-Fi box giving me a nice rack mountable wireless DMXIS solution.

The DMXIS is mounted to the back of the Stream 6 box and I added a switch to internally connect the DMXIS to the Stream 6, allowing me to completely disconnect the DMXIS from the Stream 6 if needed.

Last edited by cgrafx on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerogravity

Re: DMXIS / Chauvet D-Fi Project

Post by zerogravity » Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Nice Work!

JRUDER

Post by JRUDER » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Very nice work!

I have been thinking of remounting our DMXIS unit sort of like this to consolidate space in our rig.

How has the D-fi worked out for you? We are using Donner and currently have 2 transmitters and 12 receivers. Out of 12 receivers 2 showed up DOA but were quickly replaced with working units by the company. A price point of less than 30.00 per unit was pretty hard to pass up.

Joe

cgrafx

Post by cgrafx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:36 pm

JRUDER wrote:Very nice work!

I have been thinking of remounting our DMXIS unit sort of like this to consolidate space in our rig.

How has the D-fi worked out for you? We are using Donner and currently have 2 transmitters and 12 receivers. Out of 12 receivers 2 showed up DOA but were quickly replaced with working units by the company. A price point of less than 30.00 per unit was pretty hard to pass up.

Joe
So far I'm pretty happy with the D-Fi system although I haven't had the opportunity to test in a live environment so will have to see how that works. (it seems to be working better than the Blizzard wiCICLE units I was using (better range). I'm still working out where in our racks the transmitter will go. At present I don't have space on the front, so I'm a little concerned about possible interference from the rack (front, direct line of sight would be better). The biggest issue with all of the 2.4 GHz products is amount of noise in that band space from WiFi and cell phones.

I may end up using an external antenna so I can get better placement regardless of the location of the rack unit.