Using DMXis with Presonus Studio One

RobertsDMX

Using DMXis with Presonus Studio One

Post by RobertsDMX »

Has anyone used DMXis with Presonus Studio One 2? If so, did it work? And if it worked, how did you do it?

I can install DMXis as a VST plugin and bring it up on a track in Presonus Studio One 2, but cannot get it to trigger properly. : /
JnTuneTech

Re: Using DMXis with Presonus Studio One

Post by JnTuneTech »

I don't currently use Studio One, but with what you are describing here are some things to consider:

Routing is the key to all things DAWs do with data. "Triggering" can only happen when proper data is sent to the proper place. Unless you are using DMXIS VST automation, most commonly DMXIS needs a MIDI note, or other command, sent to it, on the appropriate MIDI channel, to make it happy! So, If the plugin is showing up, reporting that it is connected, and you can in fact move faders and get a response, and your MIDI commands do not do anything, evaluate the route your tracking is set up.

I find it best to work with plugins like DMXIS as a virtual instrument in most cases, but in any case, remember that DMXIS responds on at least 2 separate MIDI channels (3 recommended if you do any NRPN or CC messages). So, for clarity, I find it best to put the DMXIS instrument plugin on a bus or track by itself. Then, (depending on the method(s) of routing that your DAW offers) I create 2 (or more) MIDI only tracks, which all output to the DMXIS (bus, if that is the case) plugin. 1 track has to output to channel 16, and 1 to channel 15 for basic Bank and Preset triggering. Or at the very least, the notes on those tracks have to have those channel values, and DMXIS has to be able to receive them as such.

Some DAWs offer "simple instrument" tracks, which tend to confuse the issue when a plugin or instrument needs more than 1 channel of control. I try to avoid these with DMXIS. Set the DMXIS plugin up as a separate "input", and create and route separate MIDI "outputs" to send - trigger - the DMXIS software.

Anyway, from the perspective of most any DAW, -routing, the methods of which are particular to each DAW, -is key to getting a proper response from a plugin. And you might want to think of DMXIS as a multi-timbral device as well. -I know this is just generic info, but hopefully it helps. -Jn-
Davezhear

Post by Davezhear »

Yes it does work with studio 1 v2.

When I tried using it as an instrument plug-in I had problems with stability and crashing studio 1. But you know how computers are, so that could just be my particular setup.

However the latest version works fine as a VST plug-in. You will want to use the new chords feature, so use the beta.

First select any audio track and assign the vst plugin to it. (Which you probably have already done)
Then create two midi tracks, one on ch 15 and the other on ch 16 both set to "send to DMXIS".
Then use midi notes to select the banks and presets. I did try using CC's to select banks and had some stability issues.
I do use CC's to for controlling other features without problems.
The only other issue I've had is the macro's are not visible when using the VST, but are fine in stand alone mode.
Timp39f

Post by Timp39f »

Took me a while to make it work. Unfortunatly I wasnt able to trigger it like its shown in all the youtubetutorials, with one Midi-trak for the Banks and one for the Presets.

But I have a good solution.
First I created one empty MIDI-track (The Chanel in my case dosnt mette (...I think)).
Then I draw the plugin out of the Instruments-panel on to the Midi-track
When everything is setup and all faders do what they should do, I just teacht the Plugin with the learn-button one Midi-note for each fader
Now I can write Midi-notes in the Track. The length of the note tells how long the the Fader is triggert and the Anschlagsstärke (I couldnt find the english word but its probably callt "stroke strength") tells how much % the fader is triggert.
When I want a soft fadout, I can hit record, an then draw the fader with the mouse down to 0% than a new automation-curve is addet witch I can animate later.

this method is a bit timeconsuming but it works. And the advantage is, that you can control each fader individualy.