Limiting maximum DMX Value for specific faders ?

Anything & everything relating to ENTTEC DMXIS.
frax

Limiting maximum DMX Value for specific faders ?

Post by frax » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Hello!
I have a whole encoded show with presets & midi controlled faders.

On 3 of theses faders I'd like to limit the output values like a audio compressor without touching my master pot.

For example:
On channel 6, instead of reaching a 255 value, I'd like it to be limited limit to 200 without re-encoding the whole show...

Does anyone have a solution? I'd be glade!
Kind regards..

Frax.

jjojjo422

Re: Limiting maximum DMX Value for specific faders ?

Post by jjojjo422 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 pm

The only way I know how would be to make a new fixture limiting the maximum value of the channel(s) you only want to be 200.
The only downfall is this would then become a setting of the fixture thus meaning you couldn't ever exceed 200 on those channels unless you loaded the original fixture back in. Hope that helps

frax

Post by frax » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi!
Thanks Jojo!

If I understand, it’s possible to limit a maximum value with a fixture?
I thought fixtures couldn’t do that!
If you have done this before, may you tell me where to set this maximum value on the online fixture editor?

Kind regards,
Frax.

jjojjo422

Post by jjojjo422 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:28 am

You would need to create a whole new fixture to do this. Once you get to the section where you choose what type of channel you want it to be, you can limit the max value. For example. You can create a channel for each color (RGB, W,A) a dimmer channel, pan and tilt channels and then blank channels as well. You set your channel order up according to the dmx channels of the fixture. So let’s say you have your RGB and dim channels set and the next channel is a strobe channel. You know that the strobe speed you like is at 200 out of 255. One of the categories you set up online is minimum and maximum value of the channel. Set it to 200 or whatever you want the limit to be. Finish setting up the rest of your fixture and hit done. Double click on the fixture you just made in the left side under your fixtures and export it to download it. There’s a little more to making a fixture but it’s pretty easy to figure out. There’s plenty of posts about it. Hope this helps.

jjojjo422

Post by jjojjo422 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 am

Once you’ve downloaded your newly created fixture, just load it on the first channel of the fixture you want to replace. Make sure all the faders(channels) are the same as they were before and line up correctly. The channels with the limited maximum should now be there.
You can go back online to the fixture you created and tweak things as necessary. Remember to hit done before you export it otherwise your new cha fed wine be there. Let me know how it goes.