I need a Midi foot controller and hook up questions

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
Brattbugg

I need a Midi foot controller and hook up questions

Post by Brattbugg »

So I've programed all my lighting cues to my tracks and created a lightshow. I am now ready to start figuring out how to control it. I need to be able to control Start and stop of a track, advance to the next track ,and if possible, abort track and turn on a generic light chase in the event that the band has to "kill" a track on the fly due to getting out of sync with it. I assume I need a Midi Foot controller( I need to be able to use my feet, no one has a free hand in the band). What controller do you recommend and how to I connect a MIDI cable to my computer? is there an interface or an adapter that I will need? Thanks in advance, Myke
TaurusLiveSound

Re: I need a Midi foot controller and hook up questions

Post by TaurusLiveSound »

I just set this up over the weekend. Equipment setup:

mac-mini running DMXIS
Midi Foot Controller (Fractal MFC-101) routed to Fractal Axe FXII that is connected to the mac-mini using an M-Audio Uno (USB-Midi converter):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

Works well. I can send program change messages and midi notes to the software to select banks & presets.

Took me a while to figure it out. Program Change seems to work well for banks (Channel 15 first bank = 0, second = 1, ....).
For presets I could not get program change to work on Channel 16. So I send a midi note in hex to choose the preset.

General midi note on command works (9F <insert note value here> 74 00).

Bytes:
9 = Note On
F = Channel 16
<A value from 00 to 9F representing the note. 00 is first preset in bank>
74 is a velocity value that seems to work
00 means nothing just has to be there

Make sure that the midi input is selected in DMXIS.
Brattbugg

Post by Brattbugg »

I'm only using the midi footswitch to control backing tracks and lighting. Isn't the Fractal setup more for guitar processing as well?
TaurusLiveSound

Yes. The fractal is a guitar processor foot controller. However it has the capability to send midi messages to other pieces of equipment as well. My objective was to be able to change the lighting set up as I switch patches on my guitar effects processor.
Brattbugg

Post by Brattbugg »

That's a very cool idea. I am simply running backing tracks for every song and have a light show built for every song. I have a behringer fcb 1010 and was looking to control everything with that, including starting and stopping the backing tracks
TaurusLiveSound

If you use something like Logic for backing tracks you can automate midi events in a track and the light changes will happen automatically.

There are videos on youtube how to set this up.

Then you can just start the song with the FCB and stop with it when done.

If not using a daw for backing the fcb can send the same messages from my post above.

My band does not want to use backing tracks thus I have to find another way.
Brattbugg

Post by Brattbugg »

I've actually downloaded all my tracks into show buddy to play back tracks. Looking to use it as it is I suppose