Performance issues advice please

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
Dave Sunley

Performance issues advice please

Post by Dave Sunley »

Hey hivemind! Having a few performance issues with showbuddy.

For most of my shows I'm using SBA as a standalone (as we don't use track) but for our Bruno Mars tribute I'm using Showbuddy for track management and lighting control. Last night we also had a projector available so I had our VTs running as well.

The lights run fine on their own but as soon as I plug in the projector and set up the VTs everything gets glitchy and jerky.

I'm running the VTs at 800 x 600 resolution (storage). Running Showbuddy on a 2017, i7 15"macbook pro. Still using the DMXIS box, not artnet.

I've tried shutting down anything like dropbox or any other random shit I have open so showbuddy is all that's running. I also close the lighting design window so the viz isn't eating up graphics processor power.

Is there anything else I can do or is my £2000 laptop just not capable of running the software?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Performance issues advice please

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I developed SBA and Show Buddy on a lesser spec of MacBook, so it's definitely not your computer. FYI, in my testing, I routinely run SBA video at 800x600 with 25Hz refresh rate (configured from the SBA Preferences window) without any issue (whilst driving 2 universes of DMX fixtures and LED strips, and playing back audio from Show Buddy)

Perhaps you have encoded your videos at too high a resolution? For example, if your video clips are Full HD, then SBA needs to downscale those to 800x600 at playback time, which can be costly.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Feel free to send me one of the problematic videos, and I'll check to see if the video format is right for SBA.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Dave Sunley

Post by Dave Sunley »

That would be awesome cheers Dave. I had. Feeling it would be something I was doing wrong. I'll drop you a dropbox link to one of the videos when I get a chance, probably on Monday now.