Is anyone running Show Buddy on a mac mini or other mini computer?

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
brokenbones

Is anyone running Show Buddy on a mac mini or other mini computer?

Post by brokenbones »

I've been thinking about running a Mac Mini or other mini computer underneath my pedalboard to control the lighting. Is anyone running a similar setup? Any known issues?
Callan05

Re: Is anyone running Show Buddy on a mac mini or other mini computer?

Post by Callan05 »

I use a MacBook with no problem, so there's no reason a mac mini would have an issues. How would you control it?

I was thinking of using a raspberry pi style SBC mounted behind my mixer, but there is no Linux/arm support so that idea was cancelled.
brokenbones

Post by brokenbones »

I have been using a Macbook and iPad. I use Duet mirroring software on the iPad mounted to my mic stand. That software allows me to see everything on my macbook screen, on the iPad. All of my lighting changes are midi triggered through my multi effects board but I still have manual capability through the iPad. A lot of the time my mac would be right down in front of my feet and I worried about something spilling on it.

I got a great deal on an older mac mini from eBay so now the macbook can stay safe at home. The iPad will still be my "monitor". I changed the boot order to automatically login, run Duet, and DMXIS. I'll probably upgrade to show buddy once the new version (with USB stop/play capability COUGH, COUGH) is released.
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

I don't know the venues you play, but I wouldn't trust a computer at my feet/pedal board.
If you did manage to somehow keep it clean and hidden, you may need to consider airflow and cooling.
You'd also have the dmxis module and cables at your feet?

By the mixer seems a much safer/cleaner place.

Your screen mirroring idea is a good one, I'll have to try that out.