Backing up Showbuddy files

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
New Tricks

Backing up Showbuddy files

Post by New Tricks »

Once again, whoever created this system is a genius. Despite the few bugs that I have to work around, it is a GREAT tool to have.

After building an initial 40+ shows, I have recently been editing and adding some new stuff and, surprisingly, I retained most of the things I had learned a couple/few years ago.

I am starting to realize that I have several hundred hours invested in this project. (1) I am slow and (2) I often build detailed shows ( I notice that the system stats getting tweaky when I load a song with presets).

I need to install everything on a duplicate computer so I have a plug and play back up in case of a catastrophic failure at gig time.

I tried to follow the instruction on backing up the files and installing them on a back up computer but I have failed. It's likely my fault because I get easily confused :)

The final instruction seems vague to me. """To restore your shows & settings, copy the backup to the original location and restart DMXIS."""

The original location is the computer where they came from. I need to put them on a back up computer. Obviously I am misunderstanding "original location" so, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, John

PS. The main computer is a Mac 10.8 and the back up is a 10.9. My SB is version 1.5.3
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Backing up Showbuddy files

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Here's the Mac specific process:
  • Install DMXIS and Show Buddy on the new computer
  • Copy the "/Library/Application Support/ENTTEC/DMXIS" folder from your main computer to your new computer.
  • Copy the "/Library/Application Support/db audioware/Show Buddy/Media Files" folder from your main computer to your new computer.
  • Run Show Buddy on your main computer, and use "File>Backup" to create a backup file.
  • Run Show Buddy on your new computer, and use "File>Restore" to load that backup file.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

Thanks again.

I'm almost there but I can't find a link to download Showbuddy 1.5.3 and copying it doesn't seem to work.
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

Sorry...... I misunderstood the instructions.

This morning with a clear head, I made a back up on the main computer then restored it on the new computer.

That almost worked.

There was a problem with the dmxis files. Most of the preset markers show but there are no files and they are redded out.

I have to be close….right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.25.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.25.16 AM.png (178.02 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

Nothing worked. It almost worked but several files didn't transfer.

I had to "clone" my computer and put everything on the back up.

Now I can't find the files in the back up can't find the freaking files. There are no .db files in the library/application support.

You will probably suggest that I do a restore and restore but, since it didn't work before, I doubt it will work this time.

Initially I thought I would get some help here because I got a quick initial response. Then .....nada.

Life is tough sometimes so I should expect to be disappointed.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

So long as all the DMXIS and Show Buddy files are copied from one computer to the other (as detailed in this article, which you already know about), everything will work just fine.

It would seem you are copying the files to the wrong location, or are having technical issues copying the files from one computer to the other (i.e. the copy is failing for some reason).

A full clone of the entire "/Library/Application Support" folder from your old computer to the new computer should also work (as ALL of the DMXIS and Show Buddy data files are contained inside Application Support).
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

[quote="Dave Brown [admin]" post_id=8685 time=1520858616 user_id=54]
So long as all the DMXIS and Show Buddy files are copied from one computer to the other (as detailed in this article, which you already know about), everything will work just fine.

link is bad

But.....trial and error and persistence always comes through for me and I made it happen.
wesearcy

Post by wesearcy »

Dave,

Thanks for all the support you provide. You saved my tail on a job about a year ago.

I am coming across an issue where two Win 10 laptops dedicated to my stage lighting are failing to backup. "Backup database" does nothing. "Restore database" prompts me with the "Are you sure" screen and when I click yes, nothing happens. The problem was sporadic and now seems permanent on both my lappers.

Any thoughts and have you come across this before?

Wes

***Updated - 4-12-21***

Dave,

This problem apparently is a very strange hardware issue on my end. For some unknown reason, Showbuddy on my laptops only recognize a specific Sandisk I have at my day-gig office. Very doubtfully this morning, I put this unit in my lapper that programmed the 2 new light sequences built over the weekend. It backed up successfully. Encouraged a bit, I fired up the 2nd lapper and low & behold, the backup restoration process worked. Guess I'm going to have to claim that Sandisk when I retire in a couple of years.

Mark this one down as OK, but with an eerie fix.

Sincerely,

Wes

*** Updated - 5-25-21***

Hey Dave Brown,

I solved the issue on my end. The problem with the disc on this end was solved by going into Disk Management in the OS and matching the drive letter of the flash disk that worked. Apparently once Showbuddy backs up or stores a backup, it requires that specific drive letter of the disk to function again. There is no apparent search function to allow you to select where the backup file is located.

I didn't lose many hair follicles in the process, but if I save just one of those rascals for someone else, then I'll consider my input helpful.

Cheers,

Wes
Last edited by wesearcy on Tue May 25, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.