HELP: MP3 , WAV files...

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
android

HELP: MP3 , WAV files...

Post by android »

Hi, just started using Show Buddy, did a test lighting show with one of our songs that was in WAV file format etc so here are my questions:

1. Does using full wav files slow down the program vs lo quality MP3 tracks? (NOTE: our tracks will not be aired over a PA)

2. If i decide to change this wav track to an MP3 version in show buddy will the whole lightshow be erased? Can i copy all the data from the WAV track light show just created and paste it into the MP3 track version?

Hope this makes sense, look forward your replies:)

A.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: HELP: MP3 , WAV files...

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I always recommend using wav or aiff files with Show Buddy. Since these are uncompressed, they sound better and play back more reliably than compressed formats like mp3.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
android

Post by android »

Hey dave thx for speedy reply:) ok so wav doesnt slow any of the processors down?

Thx again loving my experience with show buddy just used it on the weekend for our video shoot will send link when finished:)

A.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

android wrote:Hey dave thx for speedy reply:) ok so wav doesnt slow any of the processors down?
Nope, wav playback is more CPU efficient than mp3 playback.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
android

Post by android »

great, oh whilst i have you i have one more question:)

I play drums and trigger my backing tracks from my MPC1000 via footswitch also using a Y-Cable that also runs to my DMXIS FS input so lightshow also begins at correct time :).

Only issue at the moment is the Show Buddy footswitch settings, i cant find start/stop option? If any?
Meaning if i step on the switch accidentally and the light show & backing tracks starts i want to be able to quickly reset it back to the starting point how i can do this? My MPC is set to start/stop that is part is fine but SB not sure?

thx,

A
wayneakp

Post by wayneakp »

hi - found this comment about MP3 vs WAV. We have lots of MP3 tracks - should I be thinking of converting them to WAV with some sort of conversion tool for use with Showbuddy - or being MP3 will they have already "lost" what extra would be in the wav version of the original?

thanks

Wayne
android

Post by android »

Hi Wayne,

It will make no difference to your audio if you convert from mp3 to wav, you could add the tracks as wavs then copy the already saved mp3 lightshows to them, just a thoughts. are you playing these mp3's over a PA as backing or just for inears on stage?
wayneakp

Post by wayneakp »

Hiya - yes we are playing as backing tracks. To be fair they don't sound bad. I was playing direct from an ipad through the headphone socket but now using a laptop usb direct into an Allen and Heath mixer . I was thinking of putting sn upscaling dac in line but not sure if this eould make any difference.

Im trying to persude the singer to move to showbuddy. However the trial through up an issue as per the "skip" topic on this forum.

Cheers

Wayne