Video Playback - roadmap?

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
jfeniello

Video Playback - roadmap?

Post by jfeniello »

Just curious, is video playback (ability to have video clips on the timeline that would project and be part of the show) on the roadmap at all? That's the only thing to me that has me hesitating, as we'd like to incorporate video in our show.

thanks
-jim
alberto nencioni

Re: Video Playback - roadmap?

Post by alberto nencioni »

I join your curiosity (and HOPE!!).
I have videos in my end-of-the year shows with my Singing School, and they are managed by a guy with his own computer - everything run smoothly to date, but I held my breath at each scene change... ;)
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You can already control video from Show Buddy - by sending MIDI Notes to any VJ application that supports MIDI control.

For example, a fun & affordable video solution for Show Buddy is TouchVIZ running on an iPad. You can load up to 124 video clips into TouchVIZ, and trigger them from Show Buddy using MIDI Chunks on the timeline.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
alberto nencioni

Dave Brown [admin] wrote:You can already control video from Show Buddy - by sending MIDI Notes to any VJ application that supports MIDI control.

For example, a fun & affordable video solution for Show Buddy is TouchVIZ running on an iPad. You can load up to 124 video clips into TouchVIZ, and trigger them from Show Buddy using MIDI Chunks on the timeline.
I can't speak for jfeniello, but I mean the other way round - that is, putting light events on the audio track of the video, and playing THE VIDEO from Show Buddy in the same way now you play the song. Moreover MIDI is a tricky world... ;)

Thanks for the reference!
joebataz

Post by joebataz »

For a more robust video app you could also use VDMX5. There is a cost and takes a little time to learn but works very well. I have triggered not only crossfades but EFX, split screens, etc. on projectors aimed at 20' screens.

joeb

ps, Mac only...
joebataz

Post by joebataz »

alberto nencioni wrote:
Dave Brown [admin] wrote:You can already control video from Show Buddy - by sending MIDI Notes to any VJ application that supports MIDI control.

I can't speak for jfeniello, but I mean the other way round - that is, putting light events on the audio track of the video, and playing THE VIDEO from Show Buddy in the same way now you play the song. Moreover MIDI is a tricky world... ;)

Thanks for the reference!
You can do that with VDMX5, Resolume, etc. Either use straight DMXIS or Show Buddy setup to accept MIDI from any app.

joeb
alberto nencioni

You just stimulated my curiosity.... :D

I have found an Elektronika Live by Aestesis which is FREEWARE for personal use - no user manual but plenty of tutorials on the Web.
Just add a LoopB1 Virtual Midi Interface (also freeware), and with a little trial-and error you're started.

BTW, I'm on Windows 7.

Edited to update:
1) trial-and-error with this software (or it is a general MIDI problem?) brings to banging your head into the wall... :P
Use instead this video tutorial or even better its transcription

2) When you edit MIDI messages, ALWAYS set velocity to 127, or Elektronika will not execute the command.

3) Pausing and playing videoclips with MIDI messages is a little tricky - to have a black screen between a song and the next it is easier to put a black jpg frame in the playing list. The player by default loops video or images, so the screen stays black.