SB Share Audio Interface with other apps?

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
JC Thunder

SB Share Audio Interface with other apps?

Post by JC Thunder »

I'm a big ShowBuddy / DMXis fan boy. I use both for every show we play with awesome results. I used to use Ableton Live (demo) for backing tracks and still keep files there for back-up. One feature Ableton had was the ability to trigger quick sounds using a midi device (like a police siren or big bell with a push of a button on the keyboard). I'm using a Macbook Pro with a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. I'm wondering if there is a way to continue to use SB but also trigger a sound from Ableton while using the same audio interface? I have not been able to run both apps through one interface device through the preference audio tab (the interface only seems to recognize one app at a time). Would a different interface (like a 4i4) allow me to do this? I do not want to use 2 separate audio interfaces and double up my output channels (our 16 ch sound board is maxed out as-is). Any suggestions on how to use SB and Ableton via one audio interface?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: SB Share Audio Interface with other apps?

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I'm surprised your audio hardware doesn't mix audio from multiple applications. There are no issues routing multiple sources to the standard "Built-In Output".

Try using Soundflower: https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Set your applications (Ableton + SB) to output to "Soundflower (2ch)". Then in the Soundflower menu, select your audio card under the "Soundflower (2ch)" section. (It will be set to "None (OFF)" by default.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon