Light cues not lined up?

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
harmonicspeed

Light cues not lined up?

Post by harmonicspeed »

Has anyone else had this happen?

I am using Windows 7, Showbuddy 1.4.2

Not sure why but, very occasionally when moving a light cue over an accent in the music I right click on the mouse to zoom in to accurately align the cue. However when I release the right mouse button the cue moves to the right making the cue start too late? If I align the cue without right clicking the mouse it looks ok, but if I now right click the mouse to zoom in, the cue now looks too far to the left making the cue too early?

The strange thing is that it does not happen all the time and I have no idea how to reproduce this?
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

www.darrenhuntsolo.webs.com
wacka

Re: Light cues not lined up?

Post by wacka »

yea i've had a similar thing going on since first using Show Buddy. In my case basically the audio track strays from what the wav file peaks etc suggest, making writing ruff light shows blindly not really possible. I now trust my ears not my eyes when first positioning my cues then a bit of trial and error gets the desired effect without too much hassle.Would be fantastic however to have a on the money accurate graphic display.When i have in the past used DMXIS as a plugin in Cubase this was the case and peaks were accurate throughout the length of the wav file.
All the best
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Still having same issue with this. Can anyone else chime in and suggest a way forward?
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I'll look into this.

However, due to limitations of DMX technology, it takes up to 40ms for your lights to actually react to a new cue. Therefore, even if the cue appears a little off in the waveform display, it's quite likely that it is still as accurate as you can get with the DMX protocol.

Click here for more info on this topic.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Thanks Dave.

The main issue is for me to be able to create accurate lighting cues blind (without having to set my lights up all the time) for moments where need all fixtures to change exactly on an accent.

BrokenRailVox

Post by BrokenRailVox »

The hands down easiest and quickest way is to have 3 folders you constantly use with the files named the exact same thing so you can replace files between your “build” tracks with full audio and then your “actual” backing tracks you’ll ultimately use live. The third folder is the folder show buddy will actually access each song through.

To begin, copy your build full music tracks and paste them into your show folder overwriting any of your actual backing tracks files already in there. The trick though, even if you’re building with your lights as I do, is to ALWAYS use a click track. We use a click left / track right anyways for our backing tracks, so I keep this method for even the full audio track build files. The entire left is click on the waveform showing the EXACT beat of the songs with the full audio to the right. It gets a little annoying with all the clicks while you build, but you will always be directly on the beat! Anything in between the clicks, you can still try and see the peak on the right side of the waveform too. Hope this helps!
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

That ^ is a great tip. The only thing I would add is to put the click on the right. If you use a lot of presets, the script can end up covering the left (upper) track but the click is still visible.