Song Selection via MIDI

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
sixstringking

Song Selection via MIDI

Post by sixstringking »

I don't yet own a copy of Show Buddy, but do have the DMXIS device. My current setup is Ableton Live for backing tracks and MIDI automation of my hardware (Line6 Pod HD500X and TC-Helicon VoiceLive) as well as timed lighting via the VST plugin.

Wanted to know if there is a way to begin playback of a song in Show Buddy via MIDI. Ideally I would like to assign a CC note to each song in the database and trigger it by the corresponding assignable footswitch on my Pod.

Many thanks,

Shane
OUTLAW

Re: Song Selection via MIDI

Post by OUTLAW »

Hi Shane

You can control Start/Stop, Next song and Previous Song With MIDI ....

I also contol a TC Helicon harmonies and AxeFX .. Though I have to say programming the vocals is a slog at the moment for anything more than just patch changes given the limited Midi facilities.. See my post below 'feature Requests'
"if I'd have known I was gonna live this long Id have took better care of myself !!"
http://www.outlaw.fr
sixstringking

Post by sixstringking »

Thanks for the response Outlaw.

Using the next song/previous song method could work. I'm just thinking of times when my band rehearses and we jump all over the place from song to song. I also use an iPad with an app call Setlist Maker and this is the beginning of the chain of events to start a song for us. The iPad is attached to my mic stand and I can choose a song on there and it will display the lyrics for me. I have some automation setup within the app. I purchased a simple start/stop MIDI device called One Trick Pony (Molten Voltage) that sends a signal to the app. The app then sends a MIDI note that is paired with each backing track in Ableton Live and thus takes over from there.

This process does work really well for me, but I was intrigued by Show Buddy and wanted to give it a look. I could see me making a change at some point.

Sounds like you and I are very much similar performers in that we both use MIDi integration. It is really powerful and I have learned a great deal over the last couple of years. I guess I'm regarded as the "techie" in our band.

Shane
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Shane

Theres another post on this board regarding using setlist maker and DMXis together ..

Yes Ive been using MM4 for about 10 years to play back midi backing tracks and control lights, sound modules, effects and vocal harmonisers in a one man show. I was first drawn to DMXis as I was fed up with the limited ability to just switch scenes within a midi only control environment, and that let me to showbuddy, as I was tearing myself away from midi backing tracks towards mp3/wav files (I still program a majority of my tracks in midi but render them in mp3 for playback).

I see what your trying to do but assigning a note to each song for selection would limit the number of songs available quite severely.
"if I'd have known I was gonna live this long Id have took better care of myself !!"
http://www.outlaw.fr
sixstringking

Post by sixstringking »

I make all of my own backing tracks as well. Do it in Logic Pro and bounce each down to .wav files. I also write out some of the MIDI for synth instruments, orchestral, and percussion elements, etc.

I realize the limitations to the notes regarding number of songs, but 128 is enough for my band. Besides, I could choose a different channel and that offers an additional 128 notes.

Thanks again for the response. I have built up my processes over a number of years. As i said, my method works pretty well. It's just nice to hear from others on their methods and could open some other possibilities. I'm still always tinkering and looking for alternatives. So, thanks for sharing your thoughts.