MIDI Clock?

randytheking

MIDI Clock?

Post by randytheking »

I currently use DMXIS as a plug-in with Ableton Live. DMXIS syncs to whatever tempo Ableton Live has so my chases match the tempo of the song.

I know D-Pro won't run as a plug-in, but can I get D-Pro to recognize the tempo set by Ableton Live?

Thanks. :)
JeremyAtEnttec

Re: MIDI Clock?

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

You can map a midi CC or note to the BPM by going into the Preferences, selecting the tab for Remote, and then adding a new row where you pick that behavior from the pull down menu and you teach it the MIDI event you want to have trigger (control) it.
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

this technique does not provide accurate results. I've used loopMIDI software to route signal into D-pro from ableton thru my midi keyboard, then mapped TAP TEMPO button to the note. Created looped midi clip in ableton with 2 recorded notes with 1/8 space between their start points (clip repeats every 8 bars) - and everytime bpm result in D-pro comes out different!
All other scenes, mapped to the keys on my midi keyboard, sent from ableton midi channel, don't fire properly as well... very disappointed =( In DMXIs response was phenomenal, INSTANT, even on 1/16th speed commands, just like it suppose to be. D-Pro starts firing cues, cuelists and palletes normally only at 1/8 th note triggerings (at around 127bpm) Please provide me with solution for D-Pro, seriously considering to buy it, but that problem spoils everything and holds back my creativity...
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I don't believe Jeremy was suggesting you control the Tap Tempo button from Ableton. He was probably suggesting direct control of the tempo via MIDI CC as follows:
  • Go to Preferences > Remote Control.
  • Click "learn new mapping".
  • Transmit a MIDI CC to D-Pro.
  • Choose Show Control: SET TEMPO (60-187 BPM) from the first drop-down list. Leave "Action parameter" blank.
Now you can accurately set the tempo within the range 60-187 via that CC.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
dsiders

Post by dsiders »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote:I don't believe Jeremy was suggesting you control the Tap Tempo button from Ableton. He was probably suggesting direct control of the tempo via MIDI CC as follows:
  • Go to Preferences > Remote Control.
  • Click "learn new mapping".
  • Transmit a MIDI CC to D-Pro.
  • Choose Show Control: SET TEMPO (60-187 BPM) from the first drop-down list. Leave "Action parameter" blank.

Good info. Thanks Dave. Now where did I put that MidiCon?... :)
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

Go to Preferences > Remote Control.
Click "learn new mapping".
Transmit a MIDI CC to D-Pro.
Choose Show Control: SET TEMPO (60-187 BPM) from the first drop-down list. Leave "Action parameter" blank.
- Yes, this method works, I've used CUE LEVEL knob on my apc40, but I actually need that knob to control my headphone level sound output, I don't have free knobs or faders for that at all. So this is not suitable.
Ableton (just like any other DAW, I suppose) in output midi ports preferences has this SYNC switch, when activated, sends midi signals for BPM syncing.
I've tried using this messages to unify ableton&D-pro's bpm, D-pro catches this midi messages, calls em "unknown midi event" - whatever action I assign it to doesnt trigger.
PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH SOLUTION.
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

This actually works fine from Ableton. Don't use Sync - just use Track.

What I'm guessing is happening is that you have a MIDI clip running a single flatlined CC value that doesn't change. In this mode, D-Pro is unable to recognize a CC change to trigger recording the CC number. Update this initial clip to start at 0, then set a key point a few beats later to increase it to anything above 0.

Go back to D-Pro, set the Remote Control event to start listening and play this clip. Once D-Pro detects the change in the CC control, it will register the controller number and ask you to select a command. Select the 'Tempo' function, and you're set. You should actually see a change in tempo based on the change in CC within your clip.

From this point on, You can set this clip to a single CC value, since D-Pro now recognizes the CC#.
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

Dear rad3d, could you please guide me step by step how to hook this all up correctly to make it work? Which cc control are you talking about, what key point, what clip? Step by step guide, please..... :oops:
I guessed there should be something under midi clip/envelopes/Midi Ctrl, but what parameter, how to record it's changing properly and how to make proper assignment (learn new mapping) in D-pro?
rad3d

Post by rad3d »

Dj Solo wrote:Dear rad3d, could you please guide me step by step how to hook this all up correctly to make it work? Which cc control are you talking about, what key point, what clip? Step by step guide, please..... :oops:
1) In Ableton MIDI Preferences, make sure the MIDI port you are having D-Pro listen to is active in 'Track' mode

2) Create a MIDI track in Ableton and set the 'MIDI To' to the designated MIDI port (above)

3) Create a MIDI clip on this MIDI track

4) In the MIDI Clip, at the bottom of the leftmost 'Clip' tab, make sure that the 'E' (Envelopes) button is selected - this opens the Envelopes panel

5) Under the Envelopes panel, there are two dropdowns at the top. The first should be set to MIDI Ctrl. Set the second one to any CC# you want to use for tempo control.

6) In the Clip timeline window to the right, you'll notice a pink bar at the bottom, meaning the CC selected is currently set to 0. Selecting and raising this up will set the CC to any value from 0 to 127, though in this mode the CC value would be a static setting while the clip is playing. For initially getting D-Pro to detect the CC, you'll have to set some 'key points' to simulate the movement of these CC values (as if you were turning a knob with that CC# assigned)

7) With the pink bar at the bottom, put your mouse on the bar at some slightly later point in time and double-click. You'll see a blue or pink dot appear. This means you've created a single key point. Leave that point at 0 for now.

8) Again move your mouse to a slightly later point in time and create another point.

9) Once you have the second point created, click on the second point and drag it up. This should create a visible envelope ramp from the first point to the second point - essentially automating a CC move from 0 to whatever number you dragged the second point to.

10) Make sure your clip is set to loop by clicking on the 'Loop' button in the 'Notes' tab (should be on by default)

11) Go back up to the MIDI clip in the MIDI track and click the Play button on the clip. You should see the time designator moving across your ramped Envelope, and it should continue to loop. This 'should' be sending a moving CC value to the designated MIDI Out

12) Go into D-Pro, Preferences, Remote Control and select 'Learn New Mapping'. This tool should detect the changing CC message and display the CC# read, and give you the option to select the action. Under action, change the top dropdown to "Show Control: TEMPO".

13) If the CC is not detected in the step above, validate that D-Pro is listening the the same MIDI device as is designated from the Ableton MIDI Out on your track.

14) If successful, D-Pro is now set to listen to this CC value, and if you open the Show Control window, you should see the Tempo changing in sync with your MIDI clip CC ramp.

15) At this point, you may now want to create new MIDI clips for each tempo setting you need to use (one per song if that's necessary). For each clip, set the CC# up as in step #5 (above), though simply drag the entire pink envelope bar (no key points) for the designated CC# up to your required tempo (though add 60 to any CC value for the actual tempo needed). I'm not sure how you might want to trigger these clips with your particular setup, though they are definitely assignable via any method of remote Ableton triggering (MIDI keyboard, controller, etc) or directly from within Ableton itself with your mouse.

Hope this helps...
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

Yes! That helped! Now it's nice and smooth! THANK You, rad3d, A LOT :lol: