Random pulses in ETC dimmers

morgangrammer

Random pulses in ETC dimmers

Post by morgangrammer »

Having a problem with the D-pro setup (2 universe) setup I'm using in a community theatre. The system is on a Windows 7 PC, using an Enttec Usb dmx pro mk 2 interface. Universe 1 is feeding our specialty lights on stage (movers, led pars, etc). Universe 2 (and output 2 of the interface) is feeding the theatre house system (an ETC dimmer system (sensor series dimmers, Ethernet interfaces). We plug d-pro into the dmx cable that is normally plugged into an etc expression ii console) to get into the house system. Everything was ok when we first started using the system this way , but lately (as in over the past couple of months), we've started getting random fixture flickers (channels appear to go to 100% for a split second, then back to 0%). I've tried isolating the computer on a different circuit, changed dmx cables, put a dmx opto isolator between the computer and the dmx input to the lighting system, and tried slowing down the dmx pro break speed in the manager applet, but I'm still getting the random flashes. Some days are worse than others. Today is especially bad. Any ideas as to what's causing this, or things to check? Sorry for the typos, hammering this out on my phone while in the venue...
Thanks
-Morgan
JeremyAtEnttec

Re: Random pulses in ETC dimmers

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

Morgan,

That's a tricky one to troubleshoot. One thing I'd like to see you try is to reverse the outputs, see if there's any difference. (Universe 1 go to Sensors, Universe 2 to the specialty stuff, instead of the way it is now.) This may reveal a smoking gun.

Another thing-- what's the status on termination of the DMX line?

Jeremy
morgangrammer

Post by morgangrammer »

Thought about reversing the outputs, guess I can do that in setup without trashing my show?

Forgot to include dmx termination in my list of things tried. Problem occurs regardless of whether the universes are terminated or not, and whether it's one fixture connected or 10.

At one point I thought it might be an AC grounding problem putting some 60Hz ripple into the dmx system. I got out my scope and checked, also looked for ground voltage potential issues, both sets of lights originate from the same electrical subpanel, and no obvious oddities there.

Half of me wonders if the etc node we are connecting to is flakey, whereas the expression console doesn't push it hard like we do, as the console is limited down to 156 channels.
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

It's sending out just 156 channels? That's a strange place to stop. 128 or 256 I can see. Oh well.

It may be worth looking at what is being sent out by the computer running D-PRO. There is a free utility called DMX Workshop from Artistic Licence. which lets you log what it sees incoming on an Art-Net data stream. Can you figure out a way to use this to your advantage to try to isolate where the problem is?
morgangrammer

Post by morgangrammer »

Sorry for the delay in my reply, got busy with work and this matter fell by the wayside (until I have to do it again in the morning). Doh!

On the ETC lighting console, I need to revise my answer. The console itself may be sending out a full 512 channels, but the surface is locked down to only allow control of 150-some channels (which is all the dimmers the theatre has in operation). I'm assuming there's some programming going on somewhere, but have never spent the time to figure it out. We just unhook it and use our stuff. :-)

I haven't figured out a way to use the software you mentioned, as I don't have an ART-net interface (at least not that I know of). I DO have two licensed copies of D-Pro and two computers, each with their own Enttec DMX-USB Pro 2 interface. I've thought about hooking them back to back to see if I could get anything interesting on the DMX manager software monitor, but haven't tried that yet. Might do that in the morning when I have the system hooked up in the theatre. Am I missing something here?
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

You mentioned using Ethernet and nodes, and that's why I went to Art-Net in my head.

Using the Pro Manager Receive screen is not a bad idea, since you have two interfaces, yes.
paulstalvey

Post by paulstalvey »

Just curious, did you start using cuelists in show control? I've noticed this happening when transitioning in Show Control in and out of a button that is setup as a cue list and in a group. For example we use the spacebar to transition through a group of buttons if there is a button either running a cuelist or one of the buttons in the group is a cuelist we get a brief flash exactly as you describe.

Paul
nralls

Post by nralls »

4 years later, I have the issue that paulstalvey is mentioning. I would like to be able to use cuelists set as a button in a group, but I get a flash in the transition anytime I do this. Paul, did you ever find a solution?
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

This thread is 4 years old - the problem originally reported was fixed in the software some time ago. What version of D-Pro are you running?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
nralls

Post by nralls »

Hey Dave,

I also sent you an email about this problem yesterday, but happened to run across this thread and see the same problem desciribed. If it would be better for me to either start a new thread or just work with you via email, I am happy to do that. Here are the details of my problem:

I would like to set up each song as a cuelist, have each cue within that cuelist advance using the spacebar, then have cuelists assigned to radio groups within the Show Control so I can easily fade between songs.

The problem is that I get a nasty flash when trying to crossfade between two cuelists. Even if there is only one cue in the cuelist, my lights flash during the crossfade.

I am running D-Pro 1.7 on both a Mac Mini with Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 and a MacBook Pro with the ODE MK2.

Here is a link to a quick video demonstrating the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vpTj ... sp=sharing
meisjohn

Post by meisjohn »

nralls wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm
I would like to set up each song as a cuelist, have each cue within that cuelist advance using the spacebar, then have cuelists assigned to radio groups within the Show Control so I can easily fade between songs.

The problem is that I get a nasty flash when trying to crossfade between two cuelists. Even if there is only one cue in the cuelist, my lights flash during the crossfade.
nralls -- Did you ever figure this out?

I am a new user to D-Pro and have set up a brand new show using the same mindset and I'm also seeing the flash. It doesn't happen every single time, and it never happens when activating/deactivating a single cue, but when a radio group going from one cue to another. I'm running D-Pro 1.9.2. I'd be happy to share my dsf file.

I'll note that I'm noticing this in the DMX Output window and the Device Browser Physical tab. I've not yet tried this with our devices live. (Still programming our lighting.)
meisjohn

Post by meisjohn »

meisjohn wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:18 am I'll note that I'm noticing this in the DMX Output window and the Device Browser Physical tab. I've not yet tried this with our devices live. (Still programming our lighting.)
Just retried this with some devices I've been testing with. Definitely seeing the momentary pulse in the lights with two ChauvetDJ SlimPAR 64s and an LIXADA DMX 512 Decoder running an LED Strip.

Here's a video from DPro with the issue. You can see how the Device Browser and DMX Output windows show the flicker. during the second, third and fifth transitions.

https://i.imgur.com/dMMFHeX.mp4
meisjohn

Post by meisjohn »

I was able to get help from David Henry at https://www.learnstagelighting.com/ and he talked me through my issue. Turns out that when a single cue or cuelist is added multiple times to a radio group, D-Pro (like most consoles) get's a little confused. With his help I was able to overcome my issue by making copies of the Cue and putting them into the radio group each with the timing I wanted for transitions and everything worked great (no more flashing.)