I’m in the wrong UNIVERSE!

tido

I’m in the wrong UNIVERSE!

Post by tido »

Well, this is crazy.
I have the 8U license. It very reliably runs up to three universes. When I patch ANYTHING into universe 4 and then go into Preferences —-> DMX Outputs and assign a new ArtNet output to universe 4, the “Activity/Status/whatever-you-call-it window” shows that I have ArtNet running on Universe 1 and Universe 2 and then my USB interface on Universe 3 (which is correct)… the newly assigned ArtNet Universe 4 shows up as Universe 8. And guess what? I can’t control ANYTHING that had been patched into Universe 4. Nothing can make universe 4 become active! So, I moved my entire Universe 4 patch into Universe 5, went to Preferences, DMX Outputs, deleted ArtNet U4, added new ArtNet U5, hit “reconnect devices” and now the “Activity Log” window shows that I have ArtNet running on Universe 1 and Universe 2 and then my USB interface on Universe 3 (which is correct) and instead of ArtNet U5, it says ArtNet U16!!!!!!! WTF is going on ??????
Oh, yeah… and I have no control over anything above Universe 3. So, did I buy a THREE UNIVERSE USB KEY?????
cgrafx

Re: I’m in the wrong UNIVERSE!

Post by cgrafx »

Curious as to how you are connecting devices.

If your using Artnet, then shouldn't everything be on artnet?

What is the USB interface?
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Can you post a screenshot of your [Preferences > DMX Outputs] page?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
tido

Post by tido »

Hi CGRAFX…
I have one Enttec DMX USB Pro running out of one of my USB ports. The other USB port is handling the 8U license key. The DMX USB Pro is handling Universe 3.
I have four Enttec ODE ArtNet to DMX nodes. My laptop (MacBook Pro… an old one) RJ45 network jack is connected to a network switch where the four ODE nodes are also connected.

I’m not sure what has changed since last week, but last night (Monday June, 7), I was suddenly able to control my entire rig… all 5 universes. The weird thing is that in the “MAIN” window, I am still seeing my Universe 4 node listed as Universe 8, and my Universe 5 node listed as Universe 16. And yes, the nodes have all been configured correctly (as far as I know) and all have unique IP addresses.

My MacBook Pro is a mid 2010 model… 13 inch screen… 2.4 GHz with 8GB ram… running OS 10.10.5.
Why such an old computer you ask? Because it still has all of the holes that I need to plug stuff into, ie, FireWire, USB, External Video, Ethernet, a CD/DVD drive… etc, etc, etc. I use ALL of those ports for various gigs that I do. It makes me want to spit nickels that Apple keeps eliminating connections on their new machines thus forcing you to purchase “adapters” for EVERYTHING.

Anyways, thanks for replying to my first post. As you can see, Dave Brown has asked for a screenshot so I’m going to proceed to reply to his post also, which will include the screenshot(s).

Have a great day.
tido

Post by tido »

Hello Dave…

*Note that the Main Window shows that the USB DMX Pro “failed to connect”… that’s because it’s sitting at the theater 16 miles away. It DOES connect properly when I’m there. And as I’ve noted, suddenly everything is working now… just curious as to the mis-matched universe numbers in the Main Window.

Thanks for any help!

I have one Enttec DMX USB Pro running out of one of my USB ports. The other USB port is handling the 8U license key. The DMX USB Pro is handling Universe 3.
I have four Enttec ODE ArtNet to DMX nodes. My laptop (MacBook Pro… an old one) RJ45 network jack is connected to a network switch where the four ODE nodes are also connected.

I’m not sure what has changed since last week, but last night (Monday June, 7), I was suddenly able to control my entire rig… all 5 universes. The weird thing is that in the “MAIN” window, I am still seeing my Universe 4 node listed as Universe 8, and my Universe 5 node listed as Universe 16. And yes, the nodes have all been configured correctly (as far as I know) and all have unique IP addresses.

My MacBook Pro is a mid 2010 model… 13 inch screen… 2.4 GHz with 8GB ram… running OS 10.10.5.
Why such an old computer you ask? Because it still has all of the holes that I need to plug stuff into, ie, FireWire, USB, External Video, Ethernet, a CD/DVD drive… etc, etc, etc. I use ALL of those ports for various gigs that I do. It makes me want to spit nickels that Apple keeps eliminating connections on their new machines thus forcing you to purchase “adapters” for EVERYTHING.
FF4C2F0E-6D72-42F2-9227-127A052C1FD4.jpeg
FF4C2F0E-6D72-42F2-9227-127A052C1FD4.jpeg (133.44 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

The diagnostic messages in the main window are displayed in binary, so they are correct.

"universes 1" = universe number 1;
"universes 2" = universe number 2;
"universes 4" = universe number 3;
"universes 8" = universe number 4;
"universes 16" = universe number 5;

If you run the artnetmon utility on the same computer as D-Pro, it will show you exactly what Art-Net data is being transmitted, and on which universes. It's freely available from https://www.dmxis.com/download/
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
tido

Post by tido »

Hi Dave.

Well who’da thunk it! Where might I have found that little tidbit of information? In the user manual that I haven’t bothered to read in it’s entirety?

Well, like I said in my last post, suddenly everything started working the other night, so I wasn’t too concerned, just confused… I mean, before I became a “professional lighting designer”, <—- (that’s a lie), I couldn’t even spell “DMX”.

Thanks again Dave!