Hardware Controllers for D-Pro

RyanMcRobb

Hardware Controllers for D-Pro

Post by RyanMcRobb »

What hardware controllers do you find work well with D-Pro?
Keen to hear a range of experiences and different settings, thankyou.
RyanMcRobb

Re: Hardware Controllers for D-Pro

Post by RyanMcRobb »

I'm still interested in hearing what controllers you guys use for D-Pro, and how you use them. :D
KJBielaga

Post by KJBielaga »

My guess as to why you haven't received any responses is that D-Pro doesn't have the necessary MIDI support to effectively use a hardware controller, it's pretty much mouse based. I use Bome Midi Translator Pro to send commands/mouse position/clicks/values to D-Pro and use a Native Instruments Maschine Jam controller to send CC and Notes to Midi Translator Pro to fire the commands. It took a little while to setup but I had 60 songs to program so I figured it was worth the time investment.

I can select individual or preprogrammed groups of lights from buttons on the controller, adjust color levels with touch sliders, select auto programs, patterns, gobos, etc. depending on the type of fixture. I found just being able to select fixtures with the controller was a huge time saver. I use a combination of sliders, buttons, the mouse and keyboard entry to adjust values, depending on the parameter.

If you're interested in this type of setup I can elaborate further.

Kevin
John Sheehan

Post by John Sheehan »

As a live musician, I have successfully used both the Morningstar MC8 and the RJM GT/16 MIDI footswitch controllers with much success. It takes some time to configure. I personally prefer the Morningstar software GUI better than the RJM.

I also use a 24" touchscreen to control my show (audio mixing and lighting). I'll set a pre configured scene with the touch screen for each song and then use the MIDI footswitch to introduce effects such a different speed Strobes, Blinders, Blackout etc...

The only thing I am still struggling with is invoking a "cancel current preset/scene" and "set new preset/scene" with a single MIDI switch at song change. I still have to operate this manually on the touchscreen rather than using a foot switch or other MIDI device to change scenes.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. (might make this a separate post..)

John
RyanMcRobb

Post by RyanMcRobb »

Actually ended up using an Akai APC Mini Mk2 - with a reasonable amount of success.

Easy to control Show Control Sliders with the faders. After a fair bit of mucking around, was able to create a fun, momentary button flash set of cues on a Show Control button page that was controlled by the buttons on it. Haven't used it for a while, will get back in to it at some point.

Also keen to control D-Pro with TouchOSC, as our operations area is quite far away from the stage.