Catalina Isn't Going Away, So...

waddillstreet

Catalina Isn't Going Away, So...

Post by waddillstreet »

I've seen reports from forum members that some software is working with Catalina, but nothing from the admins since September. So, now that we're a few maintenance releases into 10.15, what's the verdict (officially)? Are we safe to upgrade? Let's face it - Apple isn't going to retrograde the operating system, so if we're planning to continue to use D-Pro, we need to see some validation or some development effort. Yes, I know it's free (I spent money on Enttec hardware at least), but I have to know that the platform we've built our church lighting on still has longevity as the OS it runs on continues to evolve. Otherwise, it may be time to look elsewhere. Hoping for a good report with some encouraging news!!
Nick Sanders
Minister of Worship
Waddill Street Baptist Church
McKinney, Texas
APT Tech

Re: Catalina Isn't Going Away, So...

Post by APT Tech »

Dave says it works, but "I would still caution against upgrading to Catalina, until the general stability of the operating system has been validated by the Apple community at large." So he's not talking about D-Pro specifically there, but rather the stability of Catalina.

Personally, I've had good luck with Catalina and we're using it in production. But, we have a computer that does nothing but D-Pro. Catalina is a significant change from prior versions - no 32 bit code, the read-only system volume, etc. And ANY third-party app you're running, should be thoroughly tested & vetted for it. As Dave says, "My own testing shows that both DMXIS and D-Pro (latest public releases) work well with macOS Catalina" - nothing I've seen or heard contradicts that. Just check everything else, before you make the leap :)