Feature Request: Open the Show Control Window multiple times

flippatspace

Feature Request: Open the Show Control Window multiple times

Post by flippatspace »

Hi,

Dpro ist very powerful and I thought it makes sense to open the Show Control window multiple times to be able to use for examlpe a contro surface (and see on a screen what you actually have selected) and have another touchscreen to be able to control some more stuff?

Do you think this is possible?

Regards

Phil
APT Tech

Re: Feature Request: Open the Show Control Window multiple times

Post by APT Tech »

Phil, I'm just a D-Pro user so no clue if that's feasible or not. But we use Show Control directly, and externally (not using a surface, but using an app on a different computer - QLab via OSC). That works fine for us, you can of course see in Show Control any external changes and you can also make direct changes there.

Are you wanting the two windows to actually look different in some way? Or do you just want it to appear on two different screens maybe, due to how your computer is set up?
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

Hey,

yes I know that there is a way to use OSC, but I don't want to build another piece of software on top of DPro.
If would only like to be able to extend what I can see and control with the (more or less) given features. I mean you can already change the tabs, so why not make them an indiviual windows to be more flexible? And more or less every PC today is able to have multiple screens.

So they can look the same from the view itself having different content. For example one for Scanners/MovingHeads and the other one for LED Pars or whatever. Or maybe one for movements and the other one for coloring...

Phil
APT Tech

Post by APT Tech »

Oh, I see - so by using a "Control surface" you mean directly controlling multiple instances of Show Control on the computer itself, not using an external surface like an ENTTEC Wing to manipulate it.

Well, I don't think it's something we'd use - but I understand more about what you're asking now. I do see some problems with that scheme, a "Touch screen" on a computer is just a way of controlling the mouse via touch. So while you could, in theory, have multiple windows open and controllable - they'd not be SIMULTANEOUSLY controllable. The mouse is on one screen or another, if two people are fiddling with the two instances at once you're bound to have conflicts. But if it's just wanting to see MORE of Show Control, multiple tabs directly viewable etc. but for a single operator, that should work. Dave would be the guy to decide though :)

If you do want multiple OPERATORS working on Show Control, an alternative would be to use an iPad or similar with an OSC application like TouchOSC. I've never tried using MULTIPLE iPads with that but I don't know of a reason why you couldn't. There's still just one "Show Control" but using OSC with an iPad would let you control it remotely, without losing local control at the computer.
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

well we have 2 ICON Midi Controllers and they work pretty well with DPRO. Could be a bit better cause some faders don't move if you start a snapshot, but that might be any other problem. I just want to have more view / and a bit more control on more screens.

Single user would be def fine for me. Don't need any Coop mode with another LJ.

So basically it would just be to be able to open a second/3rd/4th Show Control Windows and move it to a second screen. The main functions would then be on the ICON surface and the "details" could be done via touchscreens.