Moving up from DMXIS need help with cues

Ennis437

Moving up from DMXIS need help with cues

Post by Ennis437 »

Hello, I have recently upgraded from DMXIS and was very happy with the work flow in DMXIS, and was trying to create a similar workflow in D pro. We are primarily triggering our cues via midi through Ableton and was wanting some workflow advice. I really liked the idea of using a new cue list for each song but for some reason I could never get my fade times correct it seems that I had to set the hold or fade times to at least .25 seconds. When I set it to 0 it just goes through every cue instantly without waiting for any trigger response. Even though I have it set to trigger each cue via midi note. So we ended up using manual cues in a radio group in show control this is fine except I need a new midi note for every cue. Where as if I used a cue list I can use the same midi note to trigger next cue. Anybody have any work flow suggestions how are you triggering your cues? Thanks.
mosaic-steve

Re: Moving up from DMXIS need help with cues

Post by mosaic-steve »

Hi! I never used DMXis, but started volunteering for my church when we moved to D-Pro. We're moving to Lightkey now, but I'm happy to help. :)

Here's a screenshot of the cues we use: http://mspw.co/Ng6RUd

We'll open up Ableton Live and play a MIDI note and assign the trigger to each cue. We've found that you HAVE to go in order. You can't jump around the song.

The fades and holds work for us, but we also sometimes make them longer. The important thing is I have the IN + HOLD = OUT. This way everything plays properly, nothing gets wonky when we're live. You'll notice on the visual portion on the bottom third, my hold (the flat part) begins right where the fade out from the previous trigger ends, and the hold ends right where the fade in to the next trigger begins. That's why I have these add up like this.

Next, make sure your last cue has "Stop cuelist" as its action.

Finally, make sure you have ample time to test how things work. We use cheap Chinese moving-head lights for some spotlights behind the worship team and whenever a trigger is done they do this lame flicker. (That's why we're moving to Lightkey. It works better with our garbage lights LOL!)

Let me know if you have any other questions.