Using D Pro in a DAW similar to DMXis

Chris Palmerin

Using D Pro in a DAW similar to DMXis

Post by Chris Palmerin »

Hey Guys,

I have been using Dmxis with Ableton Live for a bit and have felt that its time to move up to D Pro for its programming capabilities. However, I am interested in using D- Pro like Dmxis. I'm aware that D Pro does not have VST plugin capabilities. Has anyone here used D Pro with Ableton Live or any other DAW's? I want to trigger cue/scenes via MIDI and organize cues for multiple songs. Would "Cue Lists" be the name of my song, drop in the controller, and name a snapshot as "Song 1". Would I repeat this process to keep cues sperate for each song? I'm trying to find a good workflow to organize my work.

My apologies if this sounds confusing. any advice and workflows would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
ChrisDuncan

Re: Using D Pro in a DAW similar to DMXis

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Hi, Chris.

While I'm unfamiliar with Ableton, I've been working on a project controlling DPro from Cubase and it works quite nicely.

First, you'll need a midi loopback controller. There are several free ones out there. This lets you set up virtual midi ports so that Ableton / DAWs can output midi to a port and DPro can read it.

Once you've got that set up, it's really not that different from programming Dmxis (which also own and worked with before moving to DPro). DPro lets you assign all sorts of things to be triggered by midi events, so in Ableton you just drop the midi note, etc. on the track pointing to the loopback midi port that Dpro is listening to. Ableton fires the event, Dpro hears it and executes the lighting command. Easy peasy.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com