Moving D-Pro to separate computer

APT Tech

Moving D-Pro to separate computer

Post by APT Tech »

Right now we're using D-Pro on our production computer, and QLab (the software we use to run shows) triggers it with an IAC driver connection (Basically, an internal-to-the-computer virtual MIDI port).

What we'd like to do, is move D-Pro off to a different computer for a variety of reasons (mainly, so lighting & QLab setup can occur simultaneously). How do we do this? Should I get a USB-MIDI interface for each computer, and plug those in together - or is there some means to do this via the network? I know there's OSC, but QLab doesn't support OSC - just MIDI as far as I'm aware.
APT Tech

Re: Moving D-Pro to separate computer

Post by APT Tech »

macOS, by the way - not Windows.
APT Tech

Post by APT Tech »

Dur, apparently QLab does support OSC. Time to start reading....
APT Tech

Post by APT Tech »

Okay, learning more about OSC and that's going to work for us. So, part of the "Variety" of reasons to move D-Pro to a dedicated computer, is to give us the ability to set "Scenes" for times other than shows. We'd like to have some wall panels with a few buttons, and allow each button to trigger a given scene.

It looks like D-Pro will accept inputs in either MIDI or OSC. I don't see that it has the ability to accept a DMX input, is that possible? If it is, we actually could re-purpose our existing wall controller and have it just send DMX channel 001 = scene 1, channel 002 = scene 2, etc.
APT Tech

Post by APT Tech »

For anyone who's trying to do the same thing at some point :) I've learned a bit about it.

In QLab, you're going to do a "Custom OSC Message". You will mostly follow the D-Pro manual, with a few very important differences.

Basically, when using QLab at least, the value you send must be a decimal value, not an integer - e.g. 1.0, not 1. And, you must not put it in quotes, like shown in the manual. So for example, where the manual shows an example command of:

/sc/btn/run/2/4/7 "1"

The actual command you'd enter in QLab would be

/sc/btn/run/2/4/7 1.0

Also some other items don't seem to work like in the D-Pro manual examples. The "Speed" sample shown is:

/sc/speed/label "35.1%"

But what really works (to get 35.1%) is:

/sc/speed/label 0.351

That's it so far! But it's working, so very happy about that.