Restart or Advance cue in Cuelist by MIDI?

a89917823426

Restart or Advance cue in Cuelist by MIDI?

Post by a89917823426 »

I play keys in a band and am testing out D-pro as an upgrade from dmxis.

I have a cuelist in Show Control which changes the light sequence every 4 bars/measures or so within a song and then repeats. The Show Control tempo is set to the speed at which we normally play the songs.

We don't use backing tracks so sometimes we play the song quicker or slower than normal. Therefore the light changes drift out over time.

I already have tap tempo mapped to a midi pedal, so that I can change the tempo on the fly.

I now want to be able to press a button as we get to a chorus. That button to advance the lights or reset the cuelist so that we're back in sync with the song.

I have set "Play new cue immediately" in preferences.

This button does what I want it to do. Is there a way to press it via MIDI?
showcontrolCapture.JPG
showcontrolCapture.JPG (37.01 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Restart or Advance cue in Cuelist by MIDI?

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You can assign MIDI controllers to cuelists from the Preferences > Remote Control window. See p29 of the user manual.

But a better solution for you might be round-robin radio groups in the Show Control window (p41 in the manual). Drag all your cues onto some free buttons, then assign them the same radio group and MIDI trigger. That radio group will behave like a cuelist, advancing to the next available button each time the MIDI trigger is detected.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
a89917823426

Post by a89917823426 »

Thanks Dave, I still want the cuelist to keep run automatically and repeatedly - I don't think the round robin will do this? All I want to do is advance to the next cue within the list *while* it is running.

In DMXIS I had presets within an autorunning bank, and I assigned a MIDI trigger to the "next preset" button.
APT Tech

Post by APT Tech »

I think you'll find that clicking that button will Pause the playlist too, so you'd also have to then click Play. But as to how you could reset a playlist to the beginning with a MIDI command - one option would be to put the playlist on two buttons in Show Control, and then add those two buttons to a radio group so that clicking one un-clicks the other.

You can even set both buttons to the same MIDI command, so that it'll trigger them in sequence, like this:
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 7.15.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 7.15.03 AM.png (117.64 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
The trick is, when you send MIDI N1.60 the first time, it turns on the first button. When you send it the second time, it turns on the second button and turns off the first, resetting the playlist. But when you send it a third time, it turns both buttons Off, canceling the playlist. Then you need to send it a fourth time to restart it again.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea?
a89917823426

Post by a89917823426 »

APT Tech wrote:I think you'll find that clicking that button will Pause the playlist too, so you'd also have to then click Play.
If "play next cue immediately" is ticked in preferences then it immediately advances to the next cue without pausing.

I'll try doubling up the buttons. Thanks.
a89917823426

Post by a89917823426 »

I tried the doubling up of buttons, but the 3rd event that switches both buttons off is the killer.

Do you have any other ideas?

Dave, would it be possible to allow MIDI binding to the ">" button?

Thanks.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

a89917823426 wrote:Dave, would it be possible to allow MIDI binding to the ">" button?
You can assign MIDI controllers to cuelists from the Preferences > Remote Control window. See p29 of the user manual.
  • Drag your cuelist onto a free slider in Show Control
  • File > Preferences > Remote Control > learn new mapping
  • Press your MIDI button
  • Select "Show Control: Submaster Next"
  • Set the Action parameter to the Show Control slider number (0 = top slider)
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
a89917823426

Post by a89917823426 »

Thanks Dave, I've tried that and it works on sliders, but I'd then need to move all my cuelists to sliders and then lose the radio button grouping functionality.

Would it be possible to have that ">" button remote controllable please or a "SHOW CONTROL: restart timeline" action?

Thanks,