Direct Control - Syntax Examples

waddillstreet

Direct Control - Syntax Examples

Post by waddillstreet »

While the manual is quite exhaustive, it falls very short in providing useful examples of syntax (if any at all) for utilizing Direct Control to manipulate a fixture. I need a little help to get me started.

In my case, I have four different moving head spots that I would like to be able to control independently of one another and of any cue. For the purposes of the example, let's say it's address is 17 (Universe 1), and it's XY channels are 1-4 for both course and fine pan/tilt, and the dimmer channel is 5. My MIDI controller sliders, again for the purpose of the example, control notes 1-64 for buttons and 65-73 for sliders. Can I use a button to latch direct control to a particular feature, and then have four sliders dedicated to controlling the 5 channel values for X-Xf-Y-Yf-D?

As an aside, I presently use an Akai APC Mini as the MIDI controller. It would be great to know if I can add a second one to increase the number of touch and slider controls and/or add a joystick (with MIDI software interpreting it appropriately) so I am not limited to nine sliders overall to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for the guidance, folks.
Nick Sanders
Minister of Worship
Waddill Street Baptist Church
McKinney, Texas
Tat2sailor

Re: Direct Control - Syntax Examples

Post by Tat2sailor »

did you ever try 2 APC Mini's?
waddillstreet

Post by waddillstreet »

Actually, yes. But to use two identical MIDI control surfaces requires additional software to remap the second device to a separate bank of channel values, with both devices aggregated into a single, larger virtual device. Bottom line, it wouldn’t work.
Nick Sanders
Minister of Worship
Waddill Street Baptist Church
McKinney, Texas
Tat2sailor

Post by Tat2sailor »

Thank you. I guess I will use an APC 40 mk2 as the second Midi. No need for a translator like Bomes? I am trying to get more options for control of moving head lights as well as lasers. Using the mini for wash type effects and fog.
Tat2sailor

Post by Tat2sailor »

Going with APC Mini for now, then adding another with Bome. Will update as I progress.