D-Pro Scenes in DMXIS

jaijlee

D-Pro Scenes in DMXIS

Post by jaijlee »

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy DMXIS for my live shows but I really want the editing power that D-Pro provides. Can I export scenes made in D-Pro in to DMXIS?

Cheers,
Justin
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: D-Pro Scenes in DMXIS

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

No, you can't export D-Pro scenes into DMXIS.

Any particular reason you're buying DMXIS, when it sounds like you really want D-Pro? :-)
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
jaijlee

Post by jaijlee »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd like to be able to design the show within a program like D-Pro so I can fully visualize my ideas without having to set the whole rig up. I'm a working muso who uses Ableton Live and I absolutely LOVE the fact that DMXIS can be used as a VST Plugin. I also do the odd sound and lighting production.

I guess I'm looking for a hybrid of both.

Cheers,
Justin.
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Hi, Justin.

I'm working on a band project where everything is automated via Cubase. I, too, started out with Dmxis because it would run as a vst plugin, which is very cool. I have 13 movers and 16 pars, and all are the same make and model. I'm doing a lot of very synchronized stuff and it very quickly became too time consuming to program since it's a lot of one fader at a time work.

Dmxis is rock solid and an excellent plugin. However, I ultimately moved to DPro. Visualization is the smallest benefit. What makes a huge difference in productivity and design are groups, palettes, and being able to work on any / all attributes of multiple fixtures in one place. A very simple song in Dmxis took me 22 hours. Recreating that in Dpro took me 3. And that's including the initial learning curve of how to use it (although it's all pretty intuitive).

Of course, DPro doesn't run as a vst plugin, so I just got the Hubisoft midi loopback software (free, and there are others like it out there). In Cubase, instead of sending my midi out to the Dmxis plugin insert, I point it at the virtual midi port from Hubisoft instead. In a similar manner, DPro listens to the virtual midi port. DPro and Cubase both run at the same time, and there are no conflicts or performance problems as Dpro doesn't put even a modest load on the system. So, I have the same design and playback approach that I'd get using Dmxis as a vst plugin, putting all my midi triggers in a Cubase track with the songs. But working with Dpro versus Dmxis is a huge difference. For a couple hundred bucks, it was a no brainer. You should really download the demo before you decide whether or not to go with Dmxis.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
blacklistsean

Post by blacklistsean »

Hey chris,
I am a DMXIS user but looking to move into Dpro, I too love that you can run DMXIS as a plug in since my band uses abelton for backing tracks and i can trigger all the lighting through DMXIS, I am the drummer as well so all my limbs are busy during the show. I want to move to DPRO and the MK2 so that way (in theory) I could use 1 universe for my setup and then add the house lighting setup on the second universe and add the house lighting into my own cues and have the house lights and my lights trigger from within abelton. Am I right in my thinking that I would be able to do this using DPRO and an MK2 with a midi loopback software? are these the best options for this kind of setup? any help would be great, this will be my first time using multiple universes. Thank you for your time
Billiamwalker

Post by Billiamwalker »

Couldn't I, ideally, upload a backing track into d-pro and drop in my lighting cues and run it, much like show buddy without having to use abelton or logic,etc?
blacklistsean

Post by blacklistsean »

i am confused about actually assigning the midi note to the cue in D-pro. I have a virtual port set up in abelton and d-pro routed to it. I have a midi track with a few notes in it. How do I assign those notes to the cue in ableton. I understand the learn trigger function and can get it to learn a keyboard letter as a trigger. can anyone make a video that really shows the steps on both the DAW side and the d-pro side of setting something like this up.