Show Control Snapshots - your feedback please!

Chat relating to ENTTEC D-PRO lighting control software.
Dave Brown [admin]

Show Control Snapshots - your feedback please!

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I've had a number of requests for a way to capture the current DMX output of D-Pro, and save that as a new cue. I understand that this is the workflow of a number of hardware consoles. However, it doesn't fit well into the D-Pro design. A D-Pro cue doesn't store everything needed to fully replicate the "current look" at the DMX outputs, particularly if you're using cuelists & audio to create a complex effect.

So, I'm planning a more useful feature called "Show Control Snapshots". This will basically snapshot the current setting of every button & slider in the Show Control window for easy recall, and will look something like this (scroll to bottom of image):
sc-snapshots-proto.png
sc-snapshots-proto.png (202.3 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Doing snapshots this way has a number of advantages:
  • Any edits to groups, cues, palettes or cuelists are automatically reflected in the snapshot.
  • Fade times configured on your Show Control buttons will continue to work when you load a snapshot.
  • Editing snapshots is easy (load snapshot, tweak buttons/sliders, save snapshot).
  • For live busking, you can load snapshots and tweak them quickly using the Show Control buttons/sliders.
  • For theatrical use, a very visual cue stack can be built using snapshots
  • For standalone installations in bars/restaurants etc, the D-Pro player can display only snapshots for the simplest possible operating interface.
However, I'm not a hardware lighting console expert, so I want to make sure that this snapshots feature fits everyone's requirements. So please let me know what you think, and shout out if I'm missing something important!
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of DMXIS | D-Pro | Show Buddy | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon

Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Show Control Snapshots - your feedback please!

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Forgot to mention, the nice thumbnail pictures are the Device Browser as it was at the point the snapshot was saved. In this case, a background image is loaded into the Device Browser Physical page.

HSCCBobby

Post by HSCCBobby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 am

Hey Dave,
The snapshot looks like a great alternative to being able to save the show control output as a cue. My question is, can you use the saved snapshots to create a cue-list, or something similar, where you could fire one after another in a controlled mode? This would make it extremely useful for theater/dance events. Thanks for working towards adding an AWESOME feature to this amazing program!

-Bobby
Technical Production Manager
Holly Springs, NC
-Bobby
Holly Springs Cultural Center
D-Pro on Windows 7 32-bit

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:27 am

Bobby,

You can drag to reorder the snapshots, and activate them using any of the remote control options already available for standard Show Control buttons. This includes the "round-robin" feature, which would allow you to fire the snapshots in sequence from a single key, like a manual cue stack on a traditional console.

HSCCBobby

Post by HSCCBobby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:54 am

Dave,
Thanks for the update and clarification! I can not wait for this to come out - in a soon to be released beta test version?? Either way, I will be looking for it.
-Bobby

nralls

Post by nralls » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:14 pm

I would LOVE to see this feature. How close is this to being implemented? Or is it somewhere and I have missed it?

nralls

Post by nralls » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Any update on this feature possibility? This would be huge for our team.

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I have a working prototype of snapshots (which I've tested personally at a couple of live shows). It works well, but requires further effort to reach release quality. Since feedback on this feature was somewhat luke-warm, it slipped down the priority list. But it's not dead - and since there's still at least some interest, I'll most likely include it in the next major build.

dans0325

Post by dans0325 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 am

This would be awesome!
thanks for your work on this

HSCCBobby

Post by HSCCBobby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm

SWEET! Can not wait for this to be released, would make our children's' theater shows SO much easier to design! Thanks for the update.
-Bobby

R-porter

Post by R-porter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Was this feature ever released? I am consulting for a high school with a small budget and need to know how simple a show script is going to be. Thank you!

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:14 pm

R-porter wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Was this feature ever released? I am consulting for a high school with a small budget and need to know how simple a show script is going to be. Thank you!
Yes, snapshots were added back in Oct 2016 (with the D-Pro 1.7 release).

ibanez6

Post by ibanez6 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am

Sorry to bump such an old post, but I had some questions regarding triggering snapshots with MIDI. I want to be able to advance to the next snapshot using MIDI and in post 4 it was mentioned about the "round-robin" trick but I can't seem to get this to work. There doesn't appear to be grouping options for snapshot buttons in the button editor and when I assign them all to the same MIDI note it just ends up jumping to the last snapshot in the list.

Are there any workarounds to this? Also, I think having a previous and next button for snapshots (that could be assigned through MIDI) would be super valuable. It's mostly for playing with my band and I know I could use DMXIS but I already use Dpro at the venue I play at running for other bands and have a ton of scenes and lights programmed already and don't really want to have to use two pieces of software if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!